Debadge disaster

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
Has anyone come across this?

Body molding adhesive took the paint with it? I noticed the paint cracked along the top of the molding and when I started to saw with fishing line, it got under the paint somehow. So the paint detached from the truck, not the molding.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Truck may have been resprayed and mouldings put back on. Factory paint has so much hardener in it it doesn't come off that easy but it's hard to say.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Probably an issue with the factory paint. Some truck of that generation did have issues with the paint adhesion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

slowlml

Undercover Epa agent
Feb 6, 2015
Strasburg Va/Wardensville Wv
Ive debadged quite a few trucks. This has happened twice to me. Once it was from where the truck was repainted, and the 2nd time i dont believe the truck had been. The 2nd time was on my flatty lb7. I pulled one piece of trim and a good amount of paint came with it. Left the others alone. Im going to rhino line the truck from the door crease down to the rockers and back to cab corners because of it.

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
GM had random paint problems up to 2006/2007. Body shops call them "peelers". The problem was they switched to a water borne e-primer which they thought would stop rust. The peeling was caused when the paint line would shut down for the weekend, GM would leave the primed but unpainted vehicles sit until Monday to apply the finish color. The issue was no one noticed that the water borne primer, if left alone unpainted, would develop micro-rust on the primer surface. When the paint was applied, it was on top of this surface rust layer. As a vehicle wrap company, we have had a few of these in our install bay. If you look at the back side of the peeled paint, you'll see brown patches which is the rust...

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
Bumping an old thread.

For some reason my 2500hd and duramax badge on one side of my truck is crooked and its been driving me nuts. They appear to be original so I'm not sure how that happened. Unfortunately my truck has some of the paint peel starting so I am hesitant to remove them. My truck has allot of miles so the bodies not great but I don't want to pull a big patch of paint off the door. I already have a little coming off at the bottom where I got too close with the pressure washer.

I'm assuming a heat gun and decal remover wheel is the best method to remove them? I would like to reuse them if possible. If not has anybody had any experience with the aftermarket badges? There aren't as many aftermarket options as I would have thought for the 2500 badge and it's hard to tell how the quality is. DHD carries the classic duramax badge but not the old style 2500hd badge...

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California

Stroked06Goat

Mar 30, 2023
Syracuse, NY
How crooked are they? Could you heat them up good and gently rotate them? That adhesive seems to have some 'flow' to it. Took my stupid moldings off my 10 sierra, and i was not gentle. That paint was hard!

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
How crooked are they? Could you heat them up good and gently rotate them? That adhesive seems to have some 'flow' to it. Took my stupid moldings off my 10 sierra, and i was not gentle. That paint was hard!

I was also thinking that....they are probably crooked from getting so hot sitting in the sun that they sagged a bit. Ill hit them with the head gun and see. They look like someone did a crappy job of installing them, they are both at the same angle but they look like they are original. There isn't any body work done on that side. When I sit at the dinner table every night I'm looking at that side in the driveway haha. Some of the older trucks had some paint adhesion problems especially white ones it seems. Mine isn't as bad as some I've seen but there are a few spots where it is starting. I have a '99 white gmc van and it didn't look that bad when I got it. I knocked some of the paint off and that basically turned into half the rear door being primer..