Question: DD replacement vehicle for VW TDI Buyback

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
Long story short... I purchased a fully loaded 2013 VW Passat TDI new. VW will be buying back the car in a few months, due to diesel scandal & legal settlement. Good news is that I will be walking away with approx. $14,000 in profit! The $14k will be an immediate down payment on a new vehicle...

With that said, I will need a new DD commuter vehicle. I drive 50 min. one way to work. Unfortunately, I cannot find another vehicle that is as luxurious for $35k and averages 45 mpg.

I've looked into an Audi A3 TDI, BMW 328D diesel, Chevy Cruze diesel and various gasoline vehicles.

It may not be a bad idea to consider a Colorado or Canyon Duramax... What kind of fuel numbers are current owners averaging? Can we expect to achieve significant mpg increases with tune, exhaust, and intake? This may be the way to go if I can land 38 mpg highway...

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If it was me i would get the cruze. Efi live compatibility is what seals the deal for me

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Loved my cruze for the 40k I had it, but after a new dpf, and random urea replacements, I traded it in. I would get another though.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
My wife bought a dies cruze in December of 2013. I think it was around 23-24k. Currently the car has 70,000 miles. One sensor went bad,the def tank heater also went bad. Other than that the fuel filter is in a weird location and it is a little pricey. Car doesn't use much def,mileage seems to be around 38 combined and 45_52 hwy. As far as luxury,ehh,not really but it's a nice car overall.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I have an 09 vw tdi and a 15 vw passat tdi sel, that are both falling under the vw issue. If I were you I'd take the payout, keep it and have them fix it.. then make the stuff disappear with the money they gave you.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
That's the American spirit......

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I buy all American made items that are quality. No American car manufacturer has the quality of my wifes Mercedes. Cars and outboard motors are the only thing foreign I buy, I tried to buy Mercury's and it was an epic fail. Sorry, japanese outboards, german cars and American everything else...:)

AJH

Sep 7, 2015
Memphis TN
I'd pay cash for a used malibu or Cruze. No car payment, cheaper insurance, still decent enough mpgs. I had 1 vw tdi (06) you couldn't give me another vw for free. The other option would be to buy a motorcycle and a $600 beater for winter and still pocket money.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I would go Audi A6 TDI
X2 although it would just fit into his budget if was used, mileage would be lower. Drove a couple hundred mile round trip to get mine, 2010 Jetta TDI/manual got 45mpg, A6 TDI got 35mpg. Tried to average 80mph, both hand figured of course. Jetta is deleted with a tune though.

Then there's the issue of finding one, I looked at them for awhile and can't say I ever saw more than 50 in the entire country that were for sale.
If it was me i would get the cruze. Efi live compatibility is what seals the deal for me
Lots of tuners available for the euro diesel cars, although EFI Live tuners are a bit more convenient.
I have an 09 vw tdi and a 15 vw passat tdi sel, that are both falling under the vw issue. If I were you I'd take the payout, keep it and have them fix it.. then make the stuff disappear with the money they gave you.
Not how it works unfortunately. You don't get the cash until they fix your car. They can't fix your car until they have an approved fix, assuming one is ever approved by May 01 of 2018. If there is no fix by that date, you have until June 01 of 2018 to choose the buyback.

Me thinks your 09 may never have a fix but it's possible the 15 would. IIRC VW only has to bring 85% of the vehicles into compliance, so I have a feeling they may not waste money on the most expensive fix and will just wait and see how many people choose the buyback, while working on the cheapest fixes for the newest cars first and weighing the cost of potential fines if they don't meet the 85% versus the cost of a fix.

I buy all American made items that are quality. No American car manufacturer has the quality of my wifes Mercedes. Cars and outboard motors are the only thing foreign I buy, I tried to buy Mercury's and it was an epic fail. Sorry, japanese outboards, german cars and American everything else...:)

X2, they're trying to get close and many are starting to look the part, but don't have the same feel and miss all of the little details. German cars still have their quirks though, like cup holders lol. I don't buy much based on COO alone, just what suits me and the task at hand.

I've looked into an Audi A3 TDI, BMW 328D diesel, Chevy Cruze diesel and various gasoline vehicles.

As far as an A3 goes, for starters the TDI versions is a part of dieselgate, and it does not offer AWD although even if it did it would be Haldex based versus Torsen if that matters. IMO you can really notice a difference in quality from the entry level cars like the A3, however the most recent A3 looks very nice and the A4 has the latest tech, although they're both gas.

The 335d liked the shop apparently, don't know much about the 328d though.

I love my V6 TDI Audi, A6 is the smallest/cheapest sedan they put it in for USA though.
Our 14' Passat has been in for multiple sensor issues. It only has 50k miles on it. Kinda depressing...:(
No turbo failures yet?

Last edited: