LML CTS2...Now what?

cjb2283

Feb 1, 2016
Utah/wherever the AF sends me
Well, finally pulled the trigger and got me an Edge CTS2 Monitor. Fully stock truck. I know what to monitor is personal preference but in order to decide I kinda need to know why I would want to monitor it. Then I need to know the parameters for that item. So if anyone feels like taking the time and giving me a link, since my search came up empty here and google, or explaining it them selves that would be awesome. I have found a lot of peoples preferences but they don't explain why they monitor them or when to start worrying. Thanks in advance.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Whats your thought process for monitoring on a stock truck? In my opinion there isn't much if anything worth monitoring on a stock truck. Maybe fuel pressure and balance rates if you wanted to use it for diagnosis

On a tuned truck, many will have exhaust temps so they know when to pull out if it gets too hot. Oil temps and boost for pretty much the same reason. Not to exceed the max safe limits.

There is more so others will chime in

Briggs0130

Dec 7, 2010
personally, I like to watch commanded rail pressure vs actual rail pressure. That along with checking balance rates gives you a pretty good idea how healthy your fuel system is. :thumb:

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
i added it to my LML just so i could keep an eye on the rail pressure since it is so hard to get a good analog rail pressure gauge on them (i was told no, and i failed twice on my LMMs), then you can dump the boost and EGT into it as well, or i ran an analog boost and EGT next to it.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I run rail psi (fuel system health), egt (don't want to burn it down), boost (just because), eop (engine vital), ect (engine vital), vane position (vanes sticking/turbo brake) and gear/lockup (so I know what the trans is doing/turbo brake).
I have a baseline and then monitor them for anything out of the ordinary. I also have warning limits set for egt's.

cjb2283

Feb 1, 2016
Whats your thought process for monitoring on a stock truck? In my opinion there isn't much if anything worth monitoring on a stock truck. Maybe fuel pressure and balance rates if you wanted to use it for diagnosis

On a tuned truck, many will have exhaust temps so they know when to pull out if it gets too hot. Oil temps and boost for pretty much the same reason. Not to exceed the max safe limits.

There is more so others will chime in

My thought process is I am sick of towing my travel trailer for two plus hours and showing up to camp sites when my regen decides to start. Main reason is to initiate manual regens while I am still on the HWY/Interstate. The ability to read codes. The ability to read EGTs, boost, corrected speed for oversized tires, correct ECTs, Miles since last regen, soot levels, gear, among other things...Are you saying having a monitor on a stock truck is not smart? That only tuned trucks can have monitors?

cjb2283

Feb 1, 2016
For those of you that watch rail pressure...what are the parameters for it? What's too high/low...where should they be?

For those that watch EGTs...Where should I monitor? There is like four or five options. Right now I have it at EGT4. What are the parameters for the temps vs driving scenario? Towing? Normal driving? Hills?

Please forgive me, I am still fairly new to Diesels and obviously new at the monitoring portion.

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
What CTS2 did you get, insight, insight pro or evolution?

With my Insight CTS2 I can set the EGT alarm at whatever temp I want (same with all alarms). As I don't tow much right now I have it set at 1500 degrees. Now these are just for very short burst and I don't let off when it goes off. I set it there just so I can here the alarm and keep my eyes on the road. I have not it more than 10 seconds at those temps, longer scares me. If I were towing 8-13K I would set it at 1250 just so I know to start backing down. GM claims pistons are good at 1300-1350 for short term. Don't ask me how long short term is :).

I set all my alarms low just so I know before it is to late. Take coolant temp, I set the alarm at 210. That doe not mean 230 will kill my motor but I will know it well before it gets there and can watch it more.

By the way I use MPH, RPM, ECT, Oil pressure, Trans temp, Voltage, Trans gear, EGT, oil temp and EAS boost. Yes I know most of that is on the dash but I don't have to look down just a little left. :thumb: I will use rail pressure for testing purposes but I have an LB7 so mine would not help you. I like to use the grade gauge if I travel just because it is interesting.

This forum is a great place to learn just go back through old threads and you will learn ALOT!

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Dude^^^ Pistons can take way more than 1350... Lol... My LMM was over 1800 by the end of the 1/4 and that was reading in the manifold...:rofl:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
1350 is the rated consistent max egt the factory Garrett turbo can take. Not the pistons. Now that’s on lly-lmm. I’ve seen factory lml hit 1400-1450 100% stock at wot pulling his with a load on the back. That’s measured at the manifold

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
Dude^^^ Pistons can take way more than 1350... Lol... My LMM was over 1800 by the end of the 1/4 and that was reading in the manifold...:rofl:

Yes I have had my EGTs over 1700 in the 1/4 and more. When I said 1300-1350 that is for towing not short 10-30 sec burst. The melting point of aluminum is 1220. Would you run your EGTs towing at 1400 for and hour? Yes I understand cooler air is being forced into the cylinder all the time. But without an EGT probe in the cylinder itself how do you know what it is consistently running in the cylinder. We do know what is being sent to the turbo from the probe in the manifold.

If I am wrong on what I stated for a stock or in my case tuned truck please correct me. I am here to learn:popcorn:

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
1350 is the rated consistent max egt the factory Garrett turbo can take. Not the pistons. Now that’s on lly-lmm. I’ve seen factory lml hit 1400-1450 100% stock at wot pulling his with a load on the back. That’s measured at the manifold

Once again here to learn. When you say he hit 1450 at wot, was that pulling a 5 minute hill or running that way for long periods?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Our hills are 10-20min long. That’s wot from the bottom to the top hauling 26k or till coolant would hit 240

cjb2283

Feb 1, 2016
What CTS2 did you get, insight, insight pro or evolution?

With my Insight CTS2 I can set the EGT alarm at whatever temp I want (same with all alarms). As I don't tow much right now I have it set at 1500 degrees. Now these are just for very short burst and I don't let off when it goes off. I set it there just so I can here the alarm and keep my eyes on the road. I have not it more than 10 seconds at those temps, longer scares me. If I were towing 8-13K I would set it at 1250 just so I know to start backing down. GM claims pistons are good at 1300-1350 for short term. Don't ask me how long short term is :).

I set all my alarms low just so I know before it is to late. Take coolant temp, I set the alarm at 210. That doe not mean 230 will kill my motor but I will know it well before it gets there and can watch it more.

By the way I use MPH, RPM, ECT, Oil pressure, Trans temp, Voltage, Trans gear, EGT, oil temp and EAS boost. Yes I know most of that is on the dash but I don't have to look down just a little left. :thumb: I will use rail pressure for testing purposes but I have an LB7 so mine would not help you. I like to use the grade gauge if I travel just because it is interesting.

This forum is a great place to learn just go back through old threads and you will learn ALOT!

I have the Insight. And thank you for your info.