Cryo heat?

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
So not to long ago I came across this company called cyroheat. A lot of their work consists of cryo treatment and micro polishing. They're claiming that it extends service life, reduces friction and heat and so forth. The finished product looks amazing but if you ask me the claims are kinda far fetched or over the top.

Has anybody actually heard of or have any experience with treating bilet parts? Just being curious is all...

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Isn't that the process they do to alot of standard transmissions for pulling to hold more power? I really thought that process was used on crankshafts and camshafts too for a hardening process

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
Isn't that the process they do to alot of standard transmissions for pulling to hold more power? I really thought that process was used on crankshafts and camshafts too for a hardening process

Yes it is. This company does a lot of different stuff. I was just curious if anybody is doing this to input shafts and planetarys and so forth as well.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
knife makers use cryo treatment quite extensively. there is likely more information floating around the knife forums about this than any other area of the web

here is a good article: http://www.blademag.com/knife-collecting/frozen-sharp-cryogenically-treated-blades

and a relevant excerpt:

“Most tool steels actually develop their hardened structure, or martensite, during the quench,” he continued. “For various reasons, however, in some cases transformation to martensite may not be complete even at room temperature. In such cases, some of the high-temperature microstructure, or austenite, may be retained after normal heat treating.”

A2 and D2, as well as other high-alloyed tool and specialty steels, may contain as much as 20 percent austenite after normal heat treating. Cooling the steel to cryogenic temperatures furthers the conversion to martensite. However, the process is specialized and requires close attention to actual temperature, levels of exposure, and the time intervals involved in raising and lowering the temperatures of the steel itself.

“The newly formed martensite is similar to the original as-quenched structure and must be tempered,” Devanna warned. “Cryogenic treatments should always be followed by tempering. Often the cryogenic treatment is actually performed between normally scheduled multiple tempers. Technically, cryogenic treatments are most effective as an integral part of the original quench, but due to the high risk of cracking, it’s recommended that tempering or a snap temper be performed before any cryogenic treatments.”

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
We've had 1 rear ring & pinion cryo'd that lasted a good while. We also had the transfer case main shaft cryo'd and its still going strong.

Would you say that the cryo would prove to extend the life of shafts and hard parts of that nature?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Seems like it. Not exactly a scientific test, tho. Those parts we cryod will break no matter what with what we do.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
Seems like it. Not exactly a scientific test, tho. Those parts we cryod will break no matter what with what we do.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Very true. But anybit helps ya know. it's just something that caught my eye and got me wondering if that would be an alternative to buying bilet inputs and outputs or if people went the distance and cryo treated billet parts.