CRANKSHAFTS———Callies Durastar $1700——Callies Ultra Billet $3700 (external Balance) or SoCal Diesel $5000

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I changed up some stuff on my truck , everything was working great. Decided to go to the races one Friday so me and my son checked out all the fluids etc , truck was boosting up great . Loaded it up and went to track , truck was fine in lanes , get to the starting line and it wouldn’t spoil up , pooping and popping , it would not go past 1500 or so . Checked some wiring , nothing was wrong. Loaded it up to Race Another Day . Left on trailer for 2 weeks while I pondered and prepared myself. Prepare yourself for what you say ? How’s about preparing myself for a broken Crankshaft which is exactly what it is . Previously I broke an LBZ , now an LLY. Never made a test hit or run on my new setup . Sucks but goes with the territory. ————————————QUESTION NOW IS WHICH CRANK TO USE ? Does anybody have information on how these crankshafts I listed are holding up ? Are they breaking as well or not . I race on occasions but I’m no bracket racer.I believe I’m pushing at least 1200 to the wheels and I want to be able to spray it with 250–300HP of NOS . Any and all info would be appreciated. Who has the best pricing ?

Attachments

• 9C9C2FE6-3A61-4A06-A0F9-F80293F251E3.png
    9C9C2FE6-3A61-4A06-A0F9-F80293F251E3.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 61

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Socals is .250 narrowed, Callie’s are .050. I ran a Callie’s in the old truck and had no issues but there is a wait time on Callie’s that likes to vary. Guy had them ready to go last I talked with Lorenzo but that’s been a minute.

Either way, either crank will get you to your goal. Your block will be the limiter at the power you want to push to.

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I spoke to Lorenzo, he’s pushing the SoCal , he told more that people have broken the Callies but that he is yet to see or hear of anyone breaking the SoCal . James my logic is the same as yours , I need a crank that will hold up without issues to the level I want to be at . So when you say you ran the Callies are you talking about the ultra billet or the Durastar ?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I built my short block with 1500hp in mind on the last go round just before I sold the truck. It got a Callie’s ultra billet narrowed today journal crank. By time I added in shipping and other crap, it wasn’t that much more in the grand scope of things to have gone with Socals crank.

You will need a quality machine shop that can cut the edges of the rods down accordingly though. The rod bearings may need a trim too.

buick455

Sep 26, 2010
Just to add input. I am running a Callies Durastar in my LB7. It's been in for 2 seasons of truck pulling and it's north of 1200hp to the wheels. Granted not much street use and standard fire cam as well. Not trying to get you to lean this way but this has been my experience so far. Also, last winter when it was torn down it had no thrust bearing issues as had been an issue with some.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
In my opinion I would buy the SoCal. As others have stated it is the narrowest crank available and has a great track record. At the power you're making it's a needed investment in my eyes.

Reactions: prostreeter600