Cranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandango

Aug 7, 2013
Mefis
You have this almost exactly backwards. Look at the stock tunes for some Duramaxes, then some LS motors.

The Duramaxes run 0 to 5 degrees timing. I've run as little as -5 degrees without issue. I never run more than 0 BTDC because it just wastes fuel at idle.

Now check some gassers. They run massive timing (25 to 40 degrees BTDC) at idle. This is due to the low cylinder pressures from the high vacuum at idle-- the fuel burns very slowly with that little air. This slow burn means it is a smooth event, and quiet.

This has been true for ages. Think back to distributors: most have a vacuum advance. So at idle, they throw in extra timing. The opposite of diesels.

Please show a gas engine, other than an aircraft engine or a race engine(both engines with no timing curve) with that much timing at idle.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
My ls2 runs 22* at idle. All GM 5.3 trucks run right around 20*.:thumb:

Fandango, think about the physics involved here, you'll realize a gas engine has to run a lot of timing at idle (low air density, molecules spread out, flame front travels slowly, need time for combustion to complete)

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Please show a gas engine, other than an aircraft engine or a race engine(both engines with no timing curve) with that much timing at idle.

Did you ever own or use a timing light?
If not, then it makes sense why you would ask this.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
My friend's twin turbo, stock bottom end ls1 runs 15* all the way across that whole map now, just to prevent detonation on pump gas for baseline tuning. And I had my 468 BBC at 38* on a timing light for dd in my 65 Malibu and went up to 42* at the strip.

Fandango

Aug 7, 2013
Mefis
Did you ever own or use a timing light?
If not, then it makes sense why you would ask this.
40 degrees is a lot of timing at idle, I should have been more specific about it. Yes, with a base timing of around 10 degrees and vacuum advance of 15ish degrees, I can see 25 degrees.

That LS table advance table is pretty neat, thanks for posting it up.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Moates used to build them. I'm not sure he still does.

I can build one for you if he doesn't do it anymore.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Just a guess, but I would say bc they are the simplest of all the Duramax ECU's. After the lb7 the VVT charger was added and the complexity and speed of the ECU went up...

No its because theres simply no physical room for any extra crap in an LLY/LBZ/LMM ECM case.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Originally developed by Moates for the LS1 ecm and then adapted to it's close cousin the LB7.

The Roadrunner ecm consists of an auxiliary circuit board and chip set installed onto the existing ecm circuit board.

duratothemax and PACougar have it right on both observations.

Moates has been asked many times over the years about developing new circuits for the LLY and LBZ ecms, but has shown no interest in the project based on projected sales numbers.

He still sells a "guts" kit for the LS1/LB7 which is what I use to build them.

Guy

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
And you can't exactly build a new case out on your workbench with your hands and a couple hours of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.