Cranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Even if it isnt that bad of a break either. My bakancer wobbled like a sob.

Most of the time you can move the balancer up and down by hand if it is broken.

Why does it have to come out? Grab the balancer and shake it.

Only if it breaks behind #1. If it breaks farther back you may not see it in the balancer or it will be the converter you can move up and down-which was my case. My balancer was tight.

End-play is the easiest way to tell, or if it knocks when you rock it back and forth as I previously said.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
It's small in comparison to some for sure. Still bigger than anything i've touched before. It only had a couple thousand hours since the motor bearings were replaced and that's when we suspect it was misaligned. Those main bearings had about 55k hrs total.

Edit: I also should correct myself from earlier, The controls are Benshaw but the motor is an old Westinghouse.

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Injection Timing and lack of pilot pulse or to small a pilot pulse. Pilot is the reason the Duramax is quiet at idle when the older non common rail Powerstroke & Cummins bang away...

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
So, does anyone reading this know why a diesel rattles?

Thats a loaded question. CR, CH, Short rod length, too much PTW clearance, fuel RP, advanced timing, nozzel size, TDC dwell time, chamber CC, debris in fuel injectors....I think that covers it all.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
From the diesel combustion process, the sudden ignition of the diesel fuel when injected into the combustion chamber causes a pressure wave.

Still not the answer your looking for? Well ill go out on a limp. Maybe it's just the fact that the ignition is somewhat random, comparatively to a spark controlled engine. Soon as you throw a spark command gas will ignite. But you can only control when fuel starts to be injected here. And the rest of its kinda on its own, as far as when the temp will get hot enough, compression part of its controlled though. Kinda what your looking for, or did I just make myself sound like a dumbass? Lol

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Here is a clue.

attachment.php

Attachments

• plot.jpg
    plot.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 245

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
From the diesel combustion process, the sudden ignition of the diesel fuel when injected into the combustion chamber causes a pressure wave.

I'm going to agree with this, spikes in cylinder pressure make more noise than increasing timing. Its why newer engines run quieter than old crap, they have pilot injection/multiple pilot injections.

High timing can do damage for sure, but it won't cause a spike in cylinder pressure, it will just cause peak pressure btdc which is counter productive as we know.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Hmm, that looks to be a pressure wave from the pilot injections then the main injection?

I'd imagine the rattle is causes by the flame fronts colliding on a multi-injection system and the single large flame front in a single injection system?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
That graph shows the pressure due to compression (the thin blue line), and the actual pressure deviates after the injection event (vertical band).

As for the rattle, with the right pilot injection, there is very little combustion noise. It is mostly the injection system, IMO. Turn off the pilot, and you'll hear it rattle just like any other old diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.