LB7: Cracked piston?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
It depends on what you replaced. If replacing the bearings and rings then drive it a 500 miles then change oil. Then drive moderately for another 500 varying load. Then you should be fine. There are alot of opinions out there on break in though. Some beleive that you drive it like you stole it from the beginning. As you already know "it's only money when it breaks". Good luck with it.

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
Well I got the motor in and I fired it up today and it doesn't run like it should. I checked the balance rates again and number six and number 8 both show +15. Gm replaced all of these injectors less than 500 miles ago and number six got replaced a little over a week ago and had even fired yet. I am sick to my stomach having worked on this all week only to not have it work. And I got major coolant leak that I can't find to top It off.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Well I got the motor in and I fired it up today and it doesn't run like it should. I checked the balance rates again and number six and number 8 both show +15. Gm replaced all of these injectors less than 500 miles ago and number six got replaced a little over a week ago and had even fired yet. I am sick to my stomach having worked on this all week only to not have it work. And I got major coolant leak that I can't find to top It off.
Do a compression check.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
This is a dumb question but how do i do a compression test?
Use an adapter in the glow plug hole with a compression gauge. Pat wrote a how to that he posted somewhere here.
It is leaking from up top behind the motor but I cant tell where it is coming from.
Could it be leaking on top of the motor and running down the valley off the top? There are a few coolant lines up there.

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
:(Well guys I am done with this thing, i am taking it to the dealer to let them fix it. I got noise when i hit my brakes and when i try and turn the steering wheel. Is it just cause they got some air? If so what is the best way to bleed the air from the power steering?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
:(Well guys I am done with this thing, i am taking it to the dealer to let them fix it. I got noise when i hit my brakes and when i try and turn the steering wheel. Is it just cause they got some air? If so what is the best way to bleed the air from the power steering?

Don give up! Just retrace to where you went wrong. It's just a truck my man and you can fix it if you're this far already.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
looks like it is leaking more on the passenger side than driver side but I am seeing on both sides

Mine did that when the coolant line on the turbo was leaking it ran off the back of the engine on both sides.
I'm betting it's that or the o ring on the coolant pipe going into the thermostat housing. Coolant in the valley has nowhere else to run but out the back.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Jack up the front so the tires are off the ground, make sure the power steering reservoir is full, start the truck, turn the steering wheel left and right, lock to lock, and pump the brakes as hard as you can a few times. Shut the truck off and recheck the fluid level. Repeat until the noises stop and the fluid level no longer drops. Let it down on the ground and turn the wheels left and right with some weight on the tires to make sure it is all good.