LB7: Cracked piston?

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
Hey guys I think I got a cracked piston or something along that line. I got lots of blow by at the filler cap and my number six shows a balance rate of
+15. This happened about 2-300 miles after gm replaced my injectors,:confused: but anyway I dont have the money to have someone else fix it. I am wanting to start tearing it apart after Christmas. Is this a real tough job and any tips? How long do you think it will take to tear the engine out. And where can I get a piston and rings and whatever gaskets that I need? Can I go used on the piston to save money? Thanks James

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Usually when a piston cracks it scores the block , which means alot more than replacing just 1 piston , hopefully the block is fine . It takes about 3-5 hours to pull the motor , i would atleast pull it and pull the heads and look inside to see what the damage is and go from there on whats needed .

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
i had a copper washer fail and i could hear it leaking compression because my injectors are on the outside of the valve covers yours are under the valve covers (hence possibly why you have pressure pushing out the fill cap)

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
With only 300 miles on the injectors from the dealer I would take it back to them and have them fix it.

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
The stealer said they done their job and they would have to charge me for any other labor. The truck runs it sounds terrible has white smoke out the pipe and cant hardly pull itself.

knagel

weakest link finder
Jun 4, 2007
Central, Iowa
I would atleast have them diagnose the problem. It may come down to them installing a faulty injector that caused your problem or it could be an install error on their part. The diagnosis may end up being cheap in the long run. If you are satisfied with the diagnosis and it is a cracked piston and nothing was caused by them, then atleast you know where you are headed and what you need to do.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If they check it for you ask the tech for a complete reading on all cylinders for cylinder pressures. If the piston is cracked they should be very little to no cylinder pressure on that cylinder. If it is an injector issue it should be at least 150 psi area on the cylinder pressure.

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
Well I brought the truck to the dealer last week and they said it was an injector and that they would fix it. I was so Relieved!! Then today which is a week later the dealer calls bad news put the injector in. Same thing:( they said no compression cylinder 6. So I am on my way to town to get the truck and start tearing the motor out.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
That still sounds fishy as hell, the tech should have seen where he installed something wrong when he opened it up, and if he didnt find anything wrong you should have got a call before he put everything back together because at that point the ball would have been back in your court. That sucks, keep us posted what you find.

Huntinducks82

Apr 21, 2008
Centerville MD
I would really question the work of the dealer on this one. Lb7 rarly crack pistons. I beleive it is a mistake on there part and that they should at least try a work somthing out with you to fix your truck. Good luck.

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
I am thinking about swapping in another motor and then selling off parts from my engine. What do you think my injectors would be worth? They have less than 500 miles. I am wondering if I would be able to recoup any money with selling parts.