LMM: Cracked dash

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Any of you dealt with this? I know the truck is 10 years old but it really ticks me off. I have three big cracks across the top of the dash. Besides this the interior is mint. I've never taken the dash out but it seems like a real PITA.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sounds like a -900 problem. Never heard of issues with the -800 dash top. Good luck, guys.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Did you put a cover on it or just let it go? I dont know if I want to replace the dash but the truck only has 46k on it:mad:

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
The dash on my LML developed a small crack at the airbag. It's extremely frustrating. I even used a sun shade on it religiously if it was parked outside.

I'm not sure what I'm doing with it. I heard consumers had a lawsuit filed against GM. I doubt anything will come of it.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
My lml was starting to crack a couple places also when I sold it a couple years ago.

I really like the 15+ dashes, they won't ever do that I don't think.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
I just let them go , they look like crap but I’m sure as hell not pulling the dash out, but most of the trucks I get are for resale so I typically don’t live with it for to long. If it was a truck I plan on keeping that’s a different story.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
The lmm is a recession truck, it was made as cheap as possible, sorry facts are facts.

You are correct with this.

As far as the dash goes. Go on gm parts direct and look it up. Then call around to local dealers and try to have them match the price.

As far as swapping it. I’ve never done a lmm but I have had the dash out of the lb7 a couple times. It’s not bad. Just take your time.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
No point in replacing it the new one will crack as well. Unless you can make modifications underneath the dash to eliminate the stress points. I’ve looked 100s of truck and suvs of that generation and they are all cracking to some degree. Even after the dash is replaced the new one cracks too. Doesn’t matter how well you take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
My dads lmm has a few cracks in the dash. As does my lml. Right at the airbag. Maybe tinting the front windshield with some 3M. Or trying to but one of those sun reflectors in when it sits outside.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
They will crack regardless. One piece design, thinner plastic, high stress points. Not just sunlight is causing it

cyclone111

Nov 20, 2019
avoiding that

Mine is still pretty new but what should I do to avoid it? it's the first thing I would see inside :(

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Mine is still pretty new but what should I do to avoid it? it's the first thing I would see inside :(

My guess would be find some kind of good plastic conditioner (if that’s even a thing) and if you don’t mind the look of it, one of those carpet grandpa dash mats. Another option would be to have your windows tinted with ceramic tint. This stuff lets almost no heat in at all and will keep your interior cooler in the summer even after sitting and I’ve heard retains heat in the winter but not sure on that. You can generally get it in all tint levels, so if you wanted your windshield to be as light as possible go with a 50-70% or even try to find a clear tint.