coolant in the oil....

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
This truck is going to be the death of me. Got it fully fired up last night. ran great. Idled good and revved up good. No noticeable white smoke. let it sit last night and came out this morning to check the oil before trying it on the road and noticed the oil was way too full. Pulled the drain plug and about a gallon of coolant came out. I'm wondering where to even start? could be a freeze plug behind the front cover, water pump, oil cooler, head gasket, injector cup, cracked cylinder? The amount and clarity of the coolant leads me to believe it if was a head gasket, I would have noticed a substantial amount white smoke or rough running.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
just started it after letting it sit overnight and it fired right up and idled very smooth. a slight haze of blue smoke. probably from low compression since the rings havent seated and no tuning for my 45% injectors yet.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I called my machine shop and he said there is almost no way its an injector cup. They are the thread in ones, and he pressure tests them afterwards. I'm going to start by pulling the water pump because its easy and I reused it from my other engine.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
what the heck happened here? the pump pressure tests ok, but cant be a coincidence im having coolant in the oil and this?

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_120048163_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20220513_120048163_HDR[1].jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20220513_120054596_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20220513_120054596_HDR[1].jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 45

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
what kinda RPMs where you pushing? looks like the impeller and or drive gear are walking

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
what the heck happened here? the pump pressure tests ok, but cant be a coincidence im having coolant in the oil and this?
thats most likely you issue. the shaft is loosing seal from the in and out movement i gained and let the coolant drain into the oil.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
what kinda RPMs where you pushing? looks like the impeller and or drive gear are walking
I don't remember. It's a water pump from when I overreved the engine and floated the valves. I re used it from that motor because it only had like 15k on it, but clearly that was a mistake.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I don't remember. It's a water pump from when I overreved the engine and floated the valves. I re used it from that motor because it only had like 15k on it, but clearly that was a mistake.
yep, looks like you spun the impeller. and as James said, lost the pressure on the seal from the extra space gained. put a plastic impeller one in there. they don't seem to suffer from that issue like the metal ones

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
so I guess the water pump was a really big coincidence. i dropped the oil and let it sit over night and there is coolant dripping from the pan. I pressure tested the coolant system and coolant is pouring out of the oil pan drain hole. any ideas?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Oil cooler? Try pinching off the coolant lines to the turbo and see if it stops? Beyond that, I’d have to say you are looking at a block or head issue

You can also pull all 8 glow plugs, pressurize the system and crank it over to see if coolant shoots out of specific cylinder. If it does, that’s either cracked head, cracked cylinder sleeve, bad sealing cup or bad head gasket.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
its dripping directly from a piston squirter. what would cause coolant to pressurize where the piston squirters get oil? above the piston squirters is dry. I stuck my camera up the drain hole.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Oil cooler? Try pinching off the coolant lines to the turbo and see if it stops? Beyond that, I’d have to say you are looking at a block or head issue

You can also pull all 8 glow plugs, pressurize the system and crank it over to see if coolant shoots out of specific cylinder. If it does, that’s either cracked head, cracked cylinder sleeve, bad sealing cup or bad head gasket.
wouldnt I notice a cracked block or head/gasket with the truck running? it shows no weird signs during start up or idling. i would figure with a leak this bad, it would fill a cylinder and hydro lock on me or run slightly rough.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
its the passenger side. its definitely not the oil cooler. I pulled it and pressure tested it. Didnt seem to leak, than I built some block off plates from my spare parts and pressurized the coolant system without the cooler. I could blow dry my hair from the oil drain plug. Im seriously considering lighting this thing on fire and walking away.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
its the passenger side. its definitely not the oil cooler. I pulled it and pressure tested it. Didnt seem to leak, than I built some block off plates from my spare parts and pressurized the coolant system without the cooler. I could blow dry my hair from the oil drain plug. Im seriously considering lighting this thing on fire and walking away.
You have more patience than I do.