Converting a SRW to a Dually truck?

stallard333

Mar 31, 2009
I have been thinking about changing my 2006 srw to a dually. I have read post here and there but I still dont have the big picture? I hope you all can help me out. the following is the questions I have

1. I plan on using a dually rear end and not use spacers, can you tell me what rearend to use and what years are compatable with my truck?

2. Can I use my stock rims or do i need different rims?, if I need different rims what size and what years are compatable?

3. Do I need to change the front hubs on my cuurent truck? if so what do I need to get?

4. Are the rear springs on my truck good and I just need to add Helper springs?

5. Do I need to change the emergency brake cable?

6. Is my long beg the same as the dually bed except for the fender extenstions? if the bed is the smae do I need to cut my fender wells out?

I have been thinking about this conversion because I miss my 1995 cc 3500 dually. I bought my 2006 cc 3500 srw new and it has been sitting for two years in my driveway since I had a bad bout with cancer, but I am feeling better now! I dont think my wife will let me get a new truck and I have to say with the limited time I have had to enjoy my truck it has been a great pleasure to drive. I know I am probadly missing other things that need to been done to make this conversion happen but I hope you all can school a old guy and give me the low down on this conversion

Sincerly
Tracy

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
If you can find a wrecked donor ruck it would be pretty easy really just swap the entire rear of the truck over, and take the front hubs and put them on your truck

RodZZilla

I8TOKYO
Jan 6, 2007
Grinnell, IA
Beds are different. Dually beds have composite sides that bolt on. You can get fender extensions for yours. I have seen them listed at some of the sites that sell 22.5" wheel conversions.

RodZZilla

I8TOKYO
Jan 6, 2007
Grinnell, IA
Glad you are doing better.:coolspot: Cancer is some nasty stuff. Wife beat it a few yrs back. I have lost my father and several other good people to it. Glad to hear when someone ends up on the good side.:D

stallard333

Mar 31, 2009
Thanks for all the input. I had no idea that the dually beds were composite sides. Thank you all for the kind words and keep the laundry list of stuff that needs to be done on this conversion.

Thanks
Tracy

HEEPJEEP

<--- Solid Axle "Leveled"
Mar 26, 2009
NH
Where are you located? I have a 2006 I am converting from dually to SRW. Willing to give you my front set up and trade rear axles.... I am in the North East...