LLY: coating/chroming injector lines

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Has anyone chromed/coated the injector lines? Mine were really nasty and I figured I would clean them...I cleaned them up with the wire wheel on the grinder so now they are 'shiny'.

How are they coated from the factory? They are kinda light brass-colored from the factory, after I wire-wheeled them they are 'silver' now...I hope that wasnt some anti-corrosion coating that I just scrubbed off. :rolleyes:

Ive seen a few guys chrome them, I wonder how much that would cost and if it would protect from corrosion better than stock? I dont know if I drive in worse conditions/climates than other people, but all of my external engine parts/hard lines literally look like they have 500,000 miles on them.

Ben

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Ben, i am pretty sure that it is a anodized coating.

Croming them would look great, I just painted mine since i did the same and wire wheeled the coating off.

Powder coat would be another option.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Simon I was all ready to paint them but the only thing that stopped me was the fact that as soon as I put a wrench on them to tighten them, the paint would scratch/chip off. :(

I dont really have any experience with powder coating stuff, how easily would it chip on something like that, where I have to wrench on it fairly hard?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I know a guy that nickel coated his and they have been fine for 2 years still look great.

Anymore details on this? Sources of places that could do the nickel coating? I really want to do something nice this time around. Im going to be running a van t-stat neck without the radiator pipe over the DS valve cover so a lot more of the valve covers/injector lines are going to be visible. I figured while I have time I might as well try to make it look kinda cool.

Ben

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Powder coat is tough stuff, But it would chip when you put a wrench to it. You could mask off the hex portion of the nut. Also there are do it yourself kits that you can use an old oven.

carcrafter22

< Danger Ranger
Dec 22, 2006
Burleson,Tx
Not sure where he had it done Ben. He lives in georgia and havent talked to him in a while. I would call some of your local plating shops and tell them what you have I'm sure they could take care of you. I think an actual plating like the nickel would be your best bet for durability and shine.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Hmmm ill try to call around, but there isnt much around me. If anyone has any sources, let me know...the injector lines arent big and it would be easy to ship them somewhere to get plated...

Only thing about plating them is the inside of the lines would get plated too...can the plating come loose and get into the injector when its under that much pressure/flow?? Maybe a stupid question...

Ben

dirty-b

KCCO!
Jun 5, 2010
Central MN
Only thing about plating them is the inside of the lines would get plated too...can the plating come loose and get into the injector when its under that much pressure/flow?? Maybe a stupid question...

Ben

Plug the lines so the insides don't get coated.:thumb:

carcrafter22

< Danger Ranger
Dec 22, 2006
Burleson,Tx
Yep, I 'd imagine some plugs could be made pretty easy. I will call the shop here locally that is going to do anodize my pulleys for my little supercharged/ turbocharged 3.9L diesel

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
They have plugs and some other stuff that they use to keep the plating off of the areas that you do not want it to be.

I know that there are a couple of plating shops in the Houston area, but it is probably more of the industrial stuff not the shine. You might try the local motorcycle shop to see if they know of someone in the area.

403turbo

<--It's whats for dinner!
Aug 3, 2009
DPRNY
Electroless nickel is very tough and hard. Usually harder than the substrate. It is very corrosion resistant. It has a very bright finish usually, not as bright as chrome but in that ball park.

I wouldn't trust anything on the inside of the lines. Any kind of plating can flake off over time if there is even the least bit of contamination.

To do it well would mean plugging them off and running them individually on a rack vs. as a barrel job. It means more $$ but worth it.