Clinking sound

StinkyDog

Apr 28, 2011
Illinois
Hey all.

I have a 2006 with the 6-speed. When at idle and in gear, the tranny has started making a clinking sound like something is loose. :( It goes away in neutral and park and under acceleration.

It is time for a re-build?? If so, what are your suggestions?

The truck has 139000 on it and, yes, the motor has roughly a 100hp tune.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Sounds like you are experiencing the type writer tick that many get, but it is an engine noise. Without hearing it though, couldn't tell you for certain.

StinkyDog

Apr 28, 2011
Illinois
I wouldn't describe it as a typewriter sound. More of a rattling in the torque converter area. It shows up after driving and coming to a stop with the truck in gear.

If I put it in park, then back to drive, most of the time is goes away. It pulls strong with no slipping( that I can tell). I did have some higher tunes installed earlier, but I have modified those to work better with the tranny.

I will try and record the sound to see if it is what you are talking about.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
My truck was doing something similar. At idle in park or neutral, and rolling into it without downshifting it would sound like a toolbox full of loose sockets (the best way I can describe the sound). Turns out it was the torque converter, a Suncoast 1056.

StinkyDog

Apr 28, 2011
Illinois
I have a feeling that is what it is. Your description of the sound is accurate. A T/C is not too bad on price, but if I am going to pull the tranny, I am planning to build it right.

When they start doing this, how long should I expect it to last?

Thanks for the input!