LML Cleaning the DPF Filter

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
Is there any proven way to clean a DPF filter with water or any chemical solution? I have the exhaust off the truck, completely intact and it was off a long bed, so I can't exactly get right to the face of the DPF easily.

It's performance was diminishing (frequent regens) and before it goes back under the truck I would like to give it any help if possible.

Jacy_dzlguy

lots to learn...
Aug 27, 2011
South Florida
Never done a vehicle one but on my equipment I take it into a business that cleans dpfs. Probably not a lot you can do yourself. And they may have to cut it and weld it back in.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I washed mine. Wasn't too hard. I ran the hose backwards to flush a majority out. Then caped it and filled it with powdered laundry detergent and water. Let it soak for a while and rinsed it. Did this a few times and put it back on. A pressure washer would probably make it a little easier but as you mentioned there is no direct view of the filter so maybe not

Took a while to boil all the water out. Seemed to have a bit more back pressure when it was wet but cleared up after it dried out. Then I used EFILive to run a regen.

I did this because I bought it used. It looked like someone removed it because it clogged up. Worked fine afterwards and was able to pass smog

PS: this is on an LMM and not an LML

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
There are companies that will clean it correctly. Needs to be cut open and put thru the correct process of cleaning to make it worth it. SoCal has tons of places down there that provide this service, most big rig repair shops will have the capability of making this happen.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
Hot water from the water heater and dawn seemed to wash it out pretty good. It completed a successful regen and seems to be performing better. 40 miles and it's only up to 7 grams of soot.

It won't be on too long, really just enough to get through the "greta" test. So long term who knows, but should be good enough for my purpose.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
It smoged fine and made it almost 500 miles before a regen. Prior to flushing the DPF it would only make it 100-150miles before a regen.

I won't have any long term updates, but short term seems to help.

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
Is there any proven way to clean a DPF filter with water or any chemical solution? I have the exhaust off the truck, completely intact and it was off a long bed, so I can't exactly get right to the face of the DPF easily.

It's performance was diminishing (frequent regens) and before it goes back under the truck I would like to give it any help if possible.

CobraCleanUSA has a solution to clean DPF filtrs.

https://www.prlog.org/12798193-diy-...ng-without-heat-cobracleanusa-ecofuelmax.html