Classic Prices-WTH???

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you do get a LB7 or LLY, you can do the 6-speed conversion yourself. I have 3 converted transmissions: a Suncoast, a Duramax Tuner, and a DIY setup.

IMO there is no reason to get the Suncoast kit. It's locked, and they won't adjust tuning for you.

The Duramax Tuner kit uses a LML valve body, so it is cheaper, but you lose the mechanical failsafe. On the older transmissions you could unplug the TCM or harness and have 3rd + reverse. Not so with the LML VB, you lose a TCM and you're not moving. They also (strangely) suck at tuning, took them 4 attempts to get 6th gear to shift at the right MPH.

Finally, my favorite setup is a DIY. Put a LBZ valve body in the trans (hard to find and expensive, but you get the mechanical failsafe). Then buy a TCM file from PCM performance. It is an unlocked 6-speed file, so you can tune it yourself. They don't give you a CAX file, but PM me and I'll give you mine. Once I have all the tables found, I'll post it here, but it is a work in progress right now.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If you do get a LB7 or LLY, you can do the 6-speed conversion yourself. I have 3 converted transmissions: a Suncoast, a Duramax Tuner, and a DIY setup.

IMO there is no reason to get the Suncoast kit. It's locked, and they won't adjust tuning for you.

The Duramax Tuner kit uses a LML valve body, so it is cheaper, but you lose the mechanical failsafe. On the older transmissions you could unplug the TCM or harness and have 3rd + reverse. Not so with the LML VB, you lose a TCM and you're not moving. They also (strangely) suck at tuning, took them 4 attempts to get 6th gear to shift at the right MPH.

Finally, my favorite setup is a DIY. Put a LBZ valve body in the trans (hard to find and expensive, but you get the mechanical failsafe). Then buy a TCM file from PCM performance. It is an unlocked 6-speed file, so you can tune it yourself. They don't give you a CAX file, but PM me and I'll give you mine. Once I have all the tables found, I'll post it here, but it is a work in progress right now.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk
Is there enough in the PCM Performance file to make changes to shift points and lock up speeds in efilive? I’ve never dove much farther than those tables in the TCM tuning.

Animals1234

Jun 8, 2017
Which part of the country are you in @LBZ? I have a few resources I can ask that may have a few leads on a decent priced lbz.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Is there enough in the PCM Performance file to make changes to shift points and lock up speeds in efilive? I’ve never dove much farther than those tables in the TCM tuning.
So basically all the 6-speed conversions use the same GM operating system, known in EFILive as DF6. I think it is always OS 15196784, but there might be others. DuramaxTuner uses transmission segment 15196778, PCMPerformance uses segment 99062821, I forget what Suncoast uses, but they all work the same. DuramaxTuner has some OS-level mods to fully remove the 600 RPM slip limit and show 6th gear on the scan tool, while Suncoast and PCMPerformance show "unknown" gear when in 6th (using the unmodified GM OS).

In both cases, EFILive has mapped the first 5 gears for the DF6 operating system, as that is a factory GM operating system. The special sauce is a couple places in the transmissions segment (calibration) that enable 6th. From there, you need a .cax to map the 6th gear tables, since EFILive left them out (GM never officially offered a 6 speed with this OS, but the OS supported it). I have (currently) only mapped 4 tables:
  1. Part Throttle 5→6 Shift Speeds
  2. Part Throttle 6→5 Shift Speeds
  3. 6th gear TCC lock
  4. 6th gear TCC unlock
When I get some time, I am going to add the full throttle 5→6 & 6→5 shift tables. I know where they are, but am trying to determine which cells are used in normal vs tow/haul mode. I am being thrown off by DuramaxTuner's cal appearing to have normal and tow/haul swapped here, but that could just be back to they suck at tuning, as it should be the same location regardless of transmission segment number.

Once I have that all sorted, I'll post up a .cax file for anyone who wants to edit their 6-speed conversion shift points. Assuming your TCM vendor didn't lock the TCM, of course.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The tune is locked, the TCM shouldnt be. thats the way i understand the DT tcm anyhow. So you can flash over it. Not sure on the suncoast one.

Reactions: DAVe3283

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

Looks clean! Low km.
Ya been on there for 2 weeks and no response from buddy so I’m sure it’s gone and he’s too dumb to remove the ad.

Going to check this one out tomorrow. ‘03 lb7 with 120k miles. Bone stock never been tuned. It’s a US import. Had some front end damage in an accident hence the newer grille.

Attachments

• A2CB40FA-ED53-4CCF-957E-78DACDD3F938.jpeg
    A2CB40FA-ED53-4CCF-957E-78DACDD3F938.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 33F6AB2C-37FE-48D7-A432-447884F263A5.jpeg
    33F6AB2C-37FE-48D7-A432-447884F263A5.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 19

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
I just bought an 06 loaded that has been h it hard on the second door on the driver's side. I gave 10500.00 for it with a used door and bedside and cab section to repair the cab in the right color included. I am no body and paint man, so I found a 500.00 cab in the same color and started stripping it today. 171000 miles, Fass,5' exhaust, efi live, and very clean. of course it will have a salvage title but I plan on wearing it out as a replacement for my 390000 mile single cab LB7. I have an 07 LBZ I bought new with all options with 53000 miles on it and I can't bring myself to slop it in our sawmill mud. I may end up with a fortune in it, but it was so nice on the good side. That may be an option for you if you don't mind a salvage title. A single cab does not fill the needs of a Grandpa with Grandpa taxi duties.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ya that 7 I posted above turned out to be a dud. Some peoples opinions of mint are pretty jaded.

Still on the hunt. Really not looking for an lly but there’s a few around with good price tags on them.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
What about a “cheap” but solid drivetrain lbz? Crew short, cognitio 4”, 35s, rebuilt trans, leather truck.

Shows tons of miles, engine has 120k less than body, it’s beat up, it’s yellow, it’s got rusted rockers and has a salvage title.

But I would drive it anywhere right now. Took it on a 4K mile round trip last summer.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
What about a “cheap” but solid drivetrain lbz? Crew short, cognitio 4”, 35s, rebuilt trans, leather truck.

Shows tons of miles, engine has 120k less than body, it’s beat up, it’s yellow, it’s got rusted rockers and has a salvage title.

But I would drive it anywhere right now. Took it on a 4K mile round trip last summer.
Thanks but I found an LB7 with reasonable mileage and bought it. I started a different thread.