Charleston, SC

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Was just up in Moncks Corner yesterday..........was a busy week here for sure.

SC DMV, piece of cake, I cannot believe the cost differences from CT, 10 yr license for $25, registration and title for $34, sales taxes capped at $300 no matter what the vehicle costs.

Permanent plate on my enclosed trailer $75/lifetime.

My MV Insurance was cut in 1/2, half the cost as CT.

The list keeps getting better and better

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Welcome to the Carolinas! I have a fried that use to live on James Island. I loved the place! I learned to surf on Folly beach. Enjoy!

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
He was a vendor here for a long time and his tunes drive great. TINY bit of timing rattle and smoke before the charger lights. Return great MPG, but don't expect them to be cool or perform like some other tuners do. I have retuned a few trucks with Kory's and all of them drove better, did get a little less mpg (talking .5-1mpg average less now) but NO more annoying rattle under the turbo, cooler egt's and way more power. As in Dustin's "150" LBZ tune went 9.1. Flashed in Kory's and same track the guy went 8.5 on Kory's "120" tune with the same 60'. I will hand this to Dustin, anyone looking to run a large fixed vein single he's the only semi local guy worth a crap with one. Personally, I'd still go with someone else for tuning. He builds a hell of a trans as well and stands behind his work & word. Sometimes a little hard to get a hold of though. Not to mention he wants $575 for 5 tunes no autocal. While Kory, Rob, Tony, etc will send you an autocal for $100-125 more. If you're happy with Dustin's tunes and haven't ran/driven anything different, I'd keep it that way. Because driving other tunes may make you spend the money for a reflash. Just my $.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very good post, I've been dealing with Dustin since he was working out of his garage, I got curious and tried Steven Schmitzers tunes once and they were good. Steve gave me good driveability and low smoke but also low power. Dustin is a power freak! If HP is what you want he's your guy. Lots of good tuners out there, the very best are vendors here, but you wont go wrong with Dustin if you want your truck to rip.

brokesmoke

Pick a lane...
Dec 13, 2012
Charleston, SC
Was just up in Moncks Corner yesterday..........was a busy week here for sure.

SC DMV, piece of cake, I cannot believe the cost differences from CT, 10 yr license for $25, registration and title for $34, sales taxes capped at $300 no matter what the vehicle costs.

Permanent plate on my enclosed trailer $75/lifetime.

My MV Insurance was cut in 1/2, half the cost as CT.

The list keeps getting better and better
SC is a win-win- no matter how you look at it. Glad you're here and getting accustomed to our way of life. You'll like it here.

I'm up near the Moncks Corner area myself in Goose Creek. I grew up in the woods so i don't want to go too far from them. :thumb:

In only wish the diesel scene was bigger here. If someone were to open a really good, really robust diesel performance shop here i'm sure they could make some easy cash.

e46_330i

Jun 26, 2013
Youngsville, NC
Very good post, I've been dealing with Dustin since he was working out of his garage, I got curious and tried Steven Schmitzers tunes once and they were good. Steve gave me good driveability and low smoke but also low power. Dustin is a power freak! If HP is what you want he's your guy. Lots of good tuners out there, the very best are vendors here, but you wont go wrong with Dustin if you want your truck to rip.

I've never been impressed with Dustin's tunes as far as power. Just retuned another truck last week. S366, 100% overs. Tune 3 from Kory runs 100x better than Dustin's tune 5 with less smoke & cooler. Which is sad considering tune 5 from Kory only makes about 650-675.. I see your track times in your sig? What was the elevation? Guys going 7.9-8.0's here on 20's on stock fuel/air tuning from Kory.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I've never been impressed with Dustin's tunes as far as power. Just retuned another truck last week. S366, 100% overs. Tune 3 from Kory runs 100x better than Dustin's tune 5 with less smoke & cooler. Which is sad considering tune 5 from Kory only makes about 650-675.. I see your track times in your sig? What was the elevation? Guys going 7.9-8.0's here on 20's on stock fuel/air tuning from Kory.

Chris Neiss (DrHolliday on here) ran a 12.42 in the 1/4 and 7.83 in the 1/8 on 255-85 tires on stock rims on an LBZ with an exhaust, AirDog, shimmed FPRV, built trans, spring clamps and tuning. Period. Stock intake, downpipe, boost tubes, EGR, manifolds, up-pipes, ect. It ran consistent 12.4s at multiple tracks all of 2008. A few videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFcWfX_ZfBQ&list=UUJ2asR6qGP05lLdlbLpysVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrfv6e7ww8E&list=UUJ2asR6qGP05lLdlbLpysVQ&index=21
Oh yeah, that was back in 2008 when Kory had his learners permit to learn to drive. No offense to Kory, I have a lot of respect for him - but I have had successful tuning since long before he ever got into it. Bobby Groft's 12.3s on a stock LLY was also on my tuning. We have a stock 2WD CCSB LMM that runs consistent 12.7s. We have done 600+ rwhp on a completely stock LLY turbo on multiple dynos including Dunbar's. The list goes on and on, as does Kory's list of fast trucks. Not taking away from Kory's abilities, just tired of the facebook and forum bashing that a few people get going when Kory and I have nothing against each other.

So who has an S366 and 100s that had my tuning in NC? The only one I can think of is Tyler Jackson's and we switched him to an S480 single still on the stock bottom end and head bolts before Rudy's and I know it still has my tuning. If you are referring to Johnny Parker's old red LBZ the last time I did tuning for it it had an S475 so of course it didn't run right when swapped to an S366.

I love when the guys who don't do tuning themselves expect a tune that one of us writes for one setup to run amazing after major changes to the setup, then when it doesn't instead of giving the same tuner a chance to dial it in for the changes they call another tuner, who tunes it for the current setup, then they talk about how much better it runs than the previous tuning.

I guess the difference is that when people call me or come here and have made or we make major setup changes, as long as they are using one of the tuners that I know knows their stuff - Rob, Tony, Kory... I will encourage them to give their current tuner a chance to dial in the new setup. If they aren't happy with it they can always switch later, but give the guy a chance. It's called professional courtesy between me and the other tuner, and it's a way to save the customer some money. I guess it's different when you have nothing to benefit from them getting the truck dialed in for the new setup for free here vs. you selling them on an AutoCal with new tuning. For the record I stock AutoCals and sell a DSP5 switch, AC, and DSP5 tune with 5 tunes of your choice (not "pick 5 from this list of 10") for $749. Many local guys just prefer to leave here with a switch installed and nothing to worry about messing with for a little cheaper.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
Chris Neiss (DrHolliday on here) ran a 12.42 in the 1/4 and 7.83 in the 1/8 on 255-85 tires on stock rims on an LBZ with an exhaust, AirDog, shimmed FPRV, built trans, spring clamps and tuning. Period. Stock intake, downpipe, boost tubes, EGR, manifolds, up-pipes, ect. It ran consistent 12.4s at multiple tracks all of 2008. A few videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrfv6e7ww8E&list=UUJ2asR6qGP05lLdlbLpysVQ&index=21

Oh yeah, that was back in 2008 when Kory had his learners permit to learn to drive. No offense to Kory, I have a lot of respect for him - but I have had successful tuning since long before he ever got into it. Bobby Groft's 12.3s on a stock LLY was also on my tuning. We have a stock 2WD CCSB LMM that runs consistent 12.7s. We have done 600+ rwhp on a completely stock LLY turbo on multiple dynos including Dunbar's. The list goes on and on, as does Kory's list of fast trucks. Not taking away from Kory's abilities, just tired of the facebook and forum bashing that a few people get going when Kory and I have nothing against each other.

So who has an S366 and 100s that had my tuning in NC? The only one I can think of is Tyler Jackson's and we switched him to an S480 single still on the stock bottom end and head bolts before Rudy's and I know it still has my tuning. If you are referring to Johnny Parker's old red LBZ the last time I did tuning for it it had an S475 so of course it didn't run right when swapped to an S366.

I love when the guys who don't do tuning themselves expect a tune that one of us writes for one setup to run amazing after major changes to the setup, then when it doesn't instead of giving the same tuner a chance to dial it in for the changes they call another tuner, who tunes it for the current setup, then they talk about how much better it runs than the previous tuning.

I guess the difference is that when people call me or come here and have made or we make major setup changes, as long as they are using one of the tuners that I know knows their stuff - Rob, Tony, Kory... I will encourage them to give their current tuner a chance to dial in the new setup. If they aren't happy with it they can always switch later, but give the guy a chance. It's called professional courtesy between me and the other tuner, and it's a way to save the customer some money. I guess it's different when you have nothing to benefit from them getting the truck dialed in for the new setup for free here vs. you selling them on an AutoCal with new tuning. For the record I stock AutoCals and sell a DSP5 switch, AC, and DSP5 tune with 5 tunes of your choice (not "pick 5 from this list of 10") for $749. Many local guys just prefer to leave here with a switch installed and nothing to worry about messing with for a little cheaper.

Learners permit at 18? Come on man... Your pushing it :)

Edited: no time for the BS. Lmao

Last edited:

e46_330i

Jun 26, 2013
Youngsville, NC

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.. It was a personal observation. The trucks have just ran better afterward. I guess if I had to use a word it would be drivability. But, like I said before personal opinion and don't mean to start any wars between anyone. IMO, there is more to a tune than just a track time. I'm sure most any (good) tuner can make those #'s on a dyno with a little logging/seat time and an lly charger, but at what expense? I guess I prefer playing it safe. Tons of factors play into it, that's just one of the examples I used.

I don't remember exactly on Johnny's old truck because it has had quite a few charger set up's on it recently.. But if I recall, it got new tunes before changing from the 475. That 87 housing just wasn't going to cut it for what he needed it to do. Like I said, it gets new spinny things like I change underwear so it's hard to keep track of exactly what happened in what order.

Keep doing your thing. When I come and see you at some point to have the Allison tickled with your stage 4, don't take it personal that I won't be needing tuning.

05DMAX87

Aug 17, 2015
New To The Forum, New to the thread

Just joined this site, recently bought a dmax, live up by the air base, looking forward to some meet ups! also looking forward to learning some new stuff!!!!:thumb: