Charleston, SC

brokesmoke

Pick a lane...
Dec 13, 2012
Charleston, SC
Hey Fellas!
Hope all is well. I'm looking to get my trans built soon and wanted to get your guys opinions on where to take my truck. There's a few places i have in mind but i want to see what would be best. I'm not opposed to driving to Georgia or North Carolina.

So far I'm torn between:

Diesel Addiction: NC

Trey Fox @ Southern Diesel Power and Performance: GA

Any other suggestions?

brokesmoke

Pick a lane...
Dec 13, 2012
Charleston, SC
Did you get the stage 4 or 5 from him?

I'm just a little skeptical on some of the internal components of the stage 4 kit, personally. Dustin said it was good for about 650 HP, but if i build it I'd rather do it right the first time and build it stronger to last longer. The Stage 5 kit from Dustin was right at $4600 which is pretty spendy and about $500 more than Trey's comparable build for about the same rated HP.

blue09dmaxx

Too broke for this shit
Jan 15, 2012
The south
Did you get the stage 4 or 5 from him?

I'm just a little skeptical on some of the internal components of the stage 4 kit, personally. Dustin said it was good for about 650 HP, but if i build it I'd rather do it right the first time and build it stronger to last longer. The Stage 5 kit from Dustin was right at $4600 which is pretty spendy and about $500 more than Trey's comparable build for about the same rated HP.

Trey is a good guy

brokesmoke

Pick a lane...
Dec 13, 2012
Charleston, SC
Well fellas- Small update. I'll be seeing Dustin at Diesel Addiction. I'm down to get a Borg S467.7 and his stage 4 trans build with a ML converter and some other goodies..

Stoked to get it all done..

e46_330i

Jun 26, 2013
Youngsville, NC
Well fellas- Small update. I'll be seeing Dustin at Diesel Addiction. I'm down to get a Borg S467.7 and his stage 4 trans build with a ML converter and some other goodies..

Stoked to get it all done..

You couldn't have gone wrong either way.

Just don't let Dustin tune it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Now you say that and over on this sight I haven't heard anything bad about Dustin's tunes. Over on DF it's a different story, more bad than good. I ran his tuning and had some work done by him and was completely satisfied with it. So why not have him tune it? The truck will be there and will be able to have Dustin tune it from the seat.

e46_330i

Jun 26, 2013
Youngsville, NC
Now you say that and over on this sight I haven't heard anything bad about Dustin's tunes. Over on DF it's a different story, more bad than good. I ran his tuning and had some work done by him and was completely satisfied with it. So why not have him tune it? The truck will be there and will be able to have Dustin tune it from the seat.

He was a vendor here for a long time and his tunes drive great. TINY bit of timing rattle and smoke before the charger lights. Return great MPG, but don't expect them to be cool or perform like some other tuners do. I have retuned a few trucks with Kory's and all of them drove better, did get a little less mpg (talking .5-1mpg average less now) but NO more annoying rattle under the turbo, cooler egt's and way more power. As in Dustin's "150" LBZ tune went 9.1. Flashed in Kory's and same track the guy went 8.5 on Kory's "120" tune with the same 60'. I will hand this to Dustin, anyone looking to run a large fixed vein single he's the only semi local guy worth a crap with one. Personally, I'd still go with someone else for tuning. He builds a hell of a trans as well and stands behind his work & word. Sometimes a little hard to get a hold of though. Not to mention he wants $575 for 5 tunes no autocal. While Kory, Rob, Tony, etc will send you an autocal for $100-125 more. If you're happy with Dustin's tunes and haven't ran/driven anything different, I'd keep it that way. Because driving other tunes may make you spend the money for a reflash. Just my $.02.

brokesmoke

Pick a lane...
Dec 13, 2012
Charleston, SC
Damn why did you have to tell me that.. lol

I love the way Kory's 120 tune runs. I guess we'll see how it runs after it's tuned. I know he just bought another shop and is moving and has been hard to get a hold of- which is understandable if you are in the middle of a move. I've called and talked to Dustin for 30+ minutes multiple times and he has been very honest and sincere and i appreciate him taking the time to talk to his customers to find out what best suits them. I've heard nothing but good about him recently. I know in the past there were complaints but i haven't heard anything personally recently about his service or standing behind his service. I'm sure you have a point e46 about the tunes not being as clean as Kory's- which is one thing i REALLY like about Kory's tunes. If i get the truck back and I'm not happy with it I'll look at getting it re flashed- I am, after all my biggest critic.

Other than that I'm really stoked to get it all done. This has been a long time coming and I'm happy to finally be able to do it all. The only thing that worries me is pushing it with a stock CP3/injectors. I'll probably do a dual CP3 setup and injectors next year if all goes good.

Here's the list of what I'll be getting done:

[URL=http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Ashleyandaustin_2008/media/jnbkjb_zpse11dafab.png.html] [/URL]

Last edited:

e46_330i

Jun 26, 2013
Youngsville, NC
Damn why did you have to tell me that.. lol

I love the way Kory's 120 tune runs. I guess we'll see how it runs after it's tuned. I know he just bought another shop and is moving and has been hard to get a hold of- which is understandable if you are in the middle of a move. I've called and talked to Dustin for 30+ minutes multiple times and he has been very honest and sincere and i appreciate him taking the time to talk to his customers to find out what best suits them. I've heard nothing but good about him recently. I know in the past there were complaints but i haven't heard anything personally recently about his service or standing behind his service. I'm sure you have a point e46 about the tunes not being as clean as Kory's- which is one thing i REALLY like about Kory's tunes. If i get the truck back and I'm not happy with it I'll look at getting it re flashed- I am, after all my biggest critic.

Other than that I'm really stoked to get it all done. This has been a long time coming and I'm happy to finally be able to do it all. The only thing that worries me is pushing it with a stock CP3/injectors. I'll probably do a dual CP3 setup and injectors next year if all goes good.

Here's the list of what I'll be getting done:

http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Ashleyandaustin_2008/media/jnbkjb_zpse11dafab.png.html?o=3

Don't get me wrong, Dustin can make them clean. But performance will suffer. He'll do whatever you want. Including a smoke/lope. But, if you already have Kory's, why not just email him for an update?

brokesmoke

Pick a lane...
Dec 13, 2012
Charleston, SC
No smoky lopy for me...lol

The only downside for me is i don't have an Autocal or anyway to change my tunes unless i drive about 2 hrs to get it done at a friends. I'll probably have Dustin go ahead and tune it since he's doing it for free with the turbo install/trans build and run them for awhile to see how i like them and then change over to Korys when i have a better way of changing the tunes. I need to break down and buy a V2