Charging Tilt trailer battery while driving (Parallel quick connect?)

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Hey Fella's its been awhile since since i've lurked around here and i've done my reading but figured it doesnt hurt to confirm with some of you who may have a little more knowledge in this section that myself.

I'm wanting to wire my trailers battery in so that it charges and can pull from the truck when needed in use. I know the 7-pin connector provides a low amp charge but here's what i'm thinking instead. Can anyone tell me if i'm going about this wrong in any way?

I have my winch connectors at the back of the truck (2 awg). i want to run a quick connect from that connector to the trailer battery and then run the trailer battery to power the trailer hydraulics and the winch when mounted on the trailer.

I dont see an issue with this since the trailer battery is new. I just figured it would provide extra bump when/if needed by being hooked to the truck. Id wire the trailer battery parallel with the trucks via the winch quick connect and ground the trailer battery on the trailer and power the winch/hydraulics via hotwire.

See any issues with this?

P.S the trailer probably will sit a lot so i want it to be "ready" for use at a moment notice and it will be parked a good distance from a power outlet.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
as long as you keep the ground shared between the truck and trailer via the winch connection (put the black on the battery as well as ground the battery to the trailer) i dont see why it wont work. i assume the winch connection on the truck is direct to a battery or how is that hooked up?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Also, be aware that if you start to draw the trailer battery down with the winch, the trailer connector will have to make up the voltage difference and the current will go up. It may be ok or you may blow a fuse. Only real way to know is to test it.

Edit: Just reread, are you saying you have an anderson connector on your truck and want to use that to charge the battery / power the winch? If so it will likely work well

Last edited:
Reactions: TowU4Free

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I install a small solar panel and charger to all my trailers so they’re ready to go at all times. And just use the factory connection as extra. But since you already have large wiring at the back of your truck that would be best.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Chevy1925 you are correct, the winch cables are directly to +/- on the battery. Cables would essentially go from quick connect at bumper to the trailer battery- battery grounded to trailer.

I was thinking about a solar panel. How do you like it GMDURAMAX?

Wonder what fuse would possibly blow? I've always had the winch cables on my trucks for the trailer this is just the first one i'm wanting to wire a trailer battery in parallel to.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your responses.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Chevy1925 you are correct, the winch cables are directly to +/- on the battery. Cables would essentially go from quick connect at bumper to the trailer battery- battery grounded to trailer.

Wonder what fuse would possibly blow? I've always had the winch cables on my trucks for the trailer this is just the first one i'm wanting to wire a trailer battery in parallel to.

In regards to the fuse, I miss read you original post. I thought you where hooking it up to the truck trailer connector. But after reading it again I see you ran some dedicated cable to a connector at the back of the truck. In that case it should work well.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

interested as well on quality one as i just put a winch and battery on my flatbed

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I have a battery (optima red top) for the winch and break away switch on my flatbed. I only charge it with the 7-way. No problems with blowing a fuse while using the winch. BTW I’ve had that battery since I bought the trailer new in ‘07. It is showing signs of giving up though.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Funny you mention that. I have an old yellow top optima I picked up at Advance about 15yrs ago when I worked there and it lasted FOREVER. I think my dad still has it around somewhere. When you get a good one its good.. I've been through two Autocrap batteries on my Trans Am since just sitting in the garage.

I think the issue i will have is the trailer wont get used often. I also realized although it is a 7ft wide thats the total width. Looks like my truck and Square body will fit on there but it'll be tighter than I anticipated.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
As far as a fuse, you absolutely must have a fuse on the positive cable as close as possible to the truck battery for the leads going to the back of your truck for your winch. I recommend a waterproof, resettable breaker. Also, I like to separate the large heavy use battery from the breakaway battery, only charge the breakaway battery from the 7-way, then the large batteries with a dedicated, fused line like what you have.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Hey Hoser. What size fuse to you recommend and where would I acquire such fuse? Here is the trailer I have btw.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Hey Hoser. What size fuse to you recommend and where would I acquire such fuse? Here is the trailer I have btw.

how big is your winch? 150amp fuse might not be enough

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
how big is your winch? 150amp fuse might not be enough

Isn't this just to keep the trailer battery topped off? Didn't sound like he wanted to power the winch directly from the truck. Plus, depending on the insulation temp of his wire, it may not even be rated for more then that

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
I have done a 350A AMG fuse and holder under the hood to a distribution block in back, and then fused each load according to what it needed. But if you are just doing the battery then I would think the 150A would be fine. The AMG fuses are nice, but if they blow you gotta have another one on hand to keep going. The resettable breakers are nice because you can, well, reset them. Don’t cheap out, get a good waterproof one. I purchase from Waytek, but I think you have to have an account to purchase from them and they have minimum quantities. I’m sure you can find them on the bay or in the jungle though.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
He said “winch connectors at the back of the truck” so I could only assume he has a receiver winch he hooks in as well

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Hey guys, I missed these my apologies. I actually drained the battery on the trailer after 3 tilts while fastening winch etc. Crap Deka battery with 550CCA(Brand new). I replaced it with a 880CCA Diehard i had laying around but my concern yes is that running tilt/jack/lights and winch i'd like to have the truck running with the cables plugged into the trailer batter/winch so as to make sure it doesnt die and has the extra "Umpf" it needs. I do think i will want a resettable breaker for sure sounds like a good idea. I also picked up a solar charger.

Winch is a 15yr old Champion 10k winch.. Been a garage companion for the most part but has always worked well when i did need it.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
If it's always connected while in use (or a majority of the time) sounds like a great idea. However if you routinely connect your truck to a fully depleted trailer battery the shock of shoving the high amperage until fully recharged sounds like it would kill the trailer battery fairly quickly.

Mikey52

Sep 20, 2018
And you don't really need to worry about cca. You need to look at total amperage. And when you buy a new one I would go with a good marine deep cycle battery.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
If it's always connected while in use (or a majority of the time) sounds like a great idea. However if you routinely connect your truck to a fully depleted trailer battery the shock of shoving the high amperage until fully recharged sounds like it would kill the trailer battery fairly quickly.

thats exactly what a deep-cycle battery is designed for.