Changed fuel filter but still have poor accelaration

dwf

Texas Farmer
Feb 15, 2011
Central Texas
2003 Duramax needed a fuel filter replacement, poor acceleration and 9K miles on it. This truck rarely pulls a load and is driven daily about 60 miles. It has never been in the shop for an engine related problem (one owner and 181K miles). Did the ff change and it runs better but at times power is down and it dies intermittently. Something is not right. Thanks for any help you can provide.

dwf

Texas Farmer
Feb 15, 2011
Central Texas
No. I normally use AC Delco filters but this time I used a Duralast, it's a new design made of plastic. I'm thinking of replacing it with AC Delco and getting some fuel additives.

dwf

Texas Farmer
Feb 15, 2011
Central Texas
I noticed the water trap wire connector was disconnected when I changed the filter but when I emptied it there was not any water in it. I don't think that would be an issue.
I'll be back, going to get a AC Delco filter and additives. Thanks

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
Since you were using the plastic designed filter. You might want to check for leaks where the WIF is. Just prime it as usual and once done, push the prime button some more till it's solid and see if it leaks at the WIF. That was a problem I had with mine. I will never use the plastic filters again.

dwf

Texas Farmer
Feb 15, 2011
Central Texas
I drive 20 miles to a auto parts store and it starts running okay but not at 100%. Picked up some Lucas additive which I added when I filled the tank. Performance is down for example when I put the pedal to the floor it is sluggish. I hope it fixes itself (maybe some air in the lines?) but I am still concerned the issue is bigger but she has an AC Delco back on her. Cross my fingers I'm about to drive 500 miles.
BTW after sitting for a while should the prime pump be hard or will it leak down? With the engine running it is hard but soften ups after it sits a while.

dwf

Texas Farmer
Feb 15, 2011
Central Texas
Thanks folks, after 1K miles over the past week and a half she running normal. I won't buy another plastic filter and maybe I had some air in the lines. The Lucas might not have helped but it ran a little longer on a tank.