Cat filter/adaptor + Raptor lift pump??

LikeArock

Jan 25, 2015
Kansas City Kansas
I have 01' LB7 duramax w/130,000 miles on it. Have exhaust hazing & oil smells like fuel so I'm replacing the injectors this week. I ordered a Cat filter/adaptor and am realizing I will need a lift pump. I was thinking of getting a raptor lift? any one have this setup??

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I do but don't run a cat filter. They don't have a water seoerator. I run the Donaldson filter with separator. Its a 3 micron but flows more then the cat.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
X2 on more/better filters... Lb7's are hard on injectors anyway so it can't hurt. I built my own system with Industrial Cat filters and heads. That way I can use any pump or combo of pumps I want as my needs change.

LikeArock

Jan 25, 2015
Kansas City Kansas
I'm just wondering if that would really give more filtration or just prolong the life of the 2 micron? Cat filters are cheap and I have no problem changing them often. I am a little worried about water separation though. I'm no expert so any input would be appreciated.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
I would run a water seperator at the very least, that being said I only have a cat filter at the moment. I'm in the same predicament as you and can't decide between a fuel lab pump and a filter head with separator or the complete setup.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I do but don't run a cat filter. They don't have a water seoerator. I run the Donaldson filter with separator. Its a 3 micron but flows more then the cat.

Just like air filters, if it flows more with the same size inlets and outlets it's not filtering as well... Food for thought Cats filters a rated Absolute, meaning they filter at the specified rating right away. Some filters have to run for a awhile and plug up before they filter at the specified rating... I'm not saying Donaldson is that way I haven't looked into them.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I'm just wondering if that would really give more filtration or just prolong the life of the 2 micron? Cat filters are cheap and I have no problem changing them often. I am a little worried about water separation though. I'm no expert so any input would be appreciated.

You want your water separator filter pre lift pump. The water droplets are much larger and easier to separate from the fuel before the pump. Once the water goes through a pump it becomes emulsified and some of it could pass through the separator filter... My first setup was all after the lift pump, after some research I learned why the separator filter should be pre pump.

LikeArock

Jan 25, 2015
Kansas City Kansas
I don't understand why people think the CAT 1r-0750 wouldn't flow enough for a Duramax. CAT uses these filters in everything from road grader to big excavators. Some of those excavators pass 100 gallons of fuel through these filters a day!

Maybe I'll do the lift then add a water separator soon.

Thanks for everyones help!!

LikeArock

Jan 25, 2015
Kansas City Kansas
You want your water separator filter pre lift pump. The water droplets are much larger and easier to separate from the fuel before the pump. Once the water goes through a pump it becomes emulsified and some of it could pass through the separator filter... My first setup was all after the lift pump, after some research I learned why the separator filter should be pre pump.

I saw your setup on another thread NICE! I think I'll go for something similar. At least with this setup if your pump fails you can just buy a new pump!

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Just like air filters, if it flows more with the same size inlets and outlets it's not filtering as well... Food for thought Cats filters a rated Absolute, meaning they filter at the specified rating right away. Some filters have to run for a awhile and plug up before they filter at the specified rating... I'm not saying Donaldson is that way I haven't looked into them.

The information on the absolute I would like to see...

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona

The information on the absolute I would like to see...

Pages 9-11 have what your looking for I think, unless your looking for an argument?
http://albahar.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/SEBU9208-00.pdf

Not really, just the ambiguous use of the word "absolute" is explained on page 10 under the heading "Absolute Rating". I just question the word being used and changing the definition to fit their needs and potentially/intentionally mislead those who do not read their "definition" of the word absolute. Sure it gives a 98.75% filter efficiency, is that absolute, no.

Then they have 3 levels of filters to top it off, go to page 11 table 4 and only the Ultra High Efficiency has a <4um rating and are they the filters you're referring to the Utra High Efficiency which is the minimum for these trucks as a final filter.

Last edited:

LikeArock

Jan 25, 2015
Kansas City Kansas
Not really, just the ambiguous use of the word "absolute" is explained on page 10 under the heading "Absolute Rating". I just question the word being used and changing the definition to fit their needs and potentially/intentionally mislead those who do not read their "definition" of the word absolute. Sure it gives a 98.75% filter efficiency, is that absolute, no.

Then they have 3 levels of filters to top it off, go to page 11 table 4 and only the Ultra High Efficiency has a <4um rating and are they the filters you're referring to the Utra High Efficiency which is the minimum for these trucks as a final filter.

You do realize Burn Down works for CAT.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I don't understand why people think the CAT 1r-0750 wouldn't flow enough for a Duramax. CAT uses these filters in everything from road grader to big excavators. Some of those excavators pass 100 gallons of fuel through these filters a day!

Maybe I'll do the lift then add a water separator soon.

Thanks for everyones help!!

100 gallons a day is way different then 165 a hour. Most of those run a primary and secondary filter. Don't get me wrong. Cat filters are bad ass. I would just prefer one with more filter area for better flow. Hince a bigger taller filter.

LikeArock

Jan 25, 2015
Kansas City Kansas
100 gallons a day is way different then 165 a hour. Most of those run a primary and secondary filter. Don't get me wrong. Cat filters are bad ass. I would just prefer one with more filter area for better flow. Hince a bigger taller filter.

You can hold a duramax to the floor all day and not burn 100 gallons! I went with the FASS. I like the idea of air & water separation. after doing the injectors I don't want to do that anytime soon! runs smooth now.
Thanks again for everyones help!!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I really like the Donaldson P553203 fuel filter/water separator. The thing I like about Donaldson is they clearly list the specs of their filters on their website along with the test standard used to rate them. The P553203 is 99% efficient at 3 microns and 95% efficient at emulsified water. Here's a link to the info on Donaldson's website: https://dynamic.donaldson.com/WebStore/search/item_detail.html?item=764605

You can hold a duramax to the floor all day and not burn 100 gallons! I went with the FASS. I like the idea of air & water separation. after doing the injectors I don't want to do that anytime soon! runs smooth now.
Thanks again for everyones help!!
Not all the fuel that goes through the filter is burned. I'm not saying it will flow 165 gallons per hour through it, but it will be a significant amount more than it burns.