Carnage...need advice

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
Seems something let go in the front end last night. Jacked up, DS locked in just like normal. Can not turn tire while locked in 4x4. PS side just "freewheels"
I can hear a faint..real faint, slight knock while spinning the PS tire. Sound is coming from inside the front end. It is not a CV. My question is can I remove the PS side without removing the whole front end? The long side from the side of the diff to the CV? I'm really lost because everyone knows LLY's don't make enough power to break stuff :D
Thanks

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
This is bad news for everyone that has a TC lift!

Eric and I had a long conversation last night about why he has blown 2 half shafts in the past week. He said that his front dif has shifted to the right at least 2" toward the driver side. That's what caused the first half shaft to break and the second one to slip all the way out of the hub. He also said that his PS torsion bar is about ready to fall out of the lower A-arm.

I believe he is going to contact TC today and see how much a new cradle will cost and/or go with a Dana 60. The problem with going straight axle is that will bump him up to a higher class where the big boys with big coin pull.

He also said he saw another duramax completely grenade the front end this week. Parts everywhere! It was not a lifted truck though.

Hopefully, TC will come through with a fix or a bit of customer service.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Seems something let go in the front end last night. Jacked up, DS locked in just like normal. Can not turn tire while locked in 4x4. PS side just "freewheels"
I can hear a faint..real faint, slight knock while spinning the PS tire. Sound is coming from inside the front end. It is not a CV. My question is can I remove the PS side without removing the whole front end? The long side from the side of the diff to the CV? I'm really lost because everyone knows LLY's don't make enough power to break stuff :D
Thanks

Todd any chance it just blew the axle disconnect collar? 05smokers brother Tony (killa) did that IIRC. They just needed a new collar and shift fork.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Todd any chance it just blew the axle disconnect collar? 05smokers brother Tony (killa) did that IIRC. They just needed a new collar and shift fork.
That's what I was gonna suggest.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
wonder why burkhardt doesn't blow his front end with the tc lift and obviously substantial amount of power? Interesting. Glad that was all it was Todd.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
ding, ding, ding....We have a winner :D
shift fork is good but we are replacing it all

We broke the puller the same way as did our buddy Devin. Tony's LMM and Hogdog both broke the same part but the scattered parts also got the case. You're lucky your case survived. All the above happened this season. Bad year for front ends!

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Craig, what rules make him jump a class for that swap? I thought you could run anything that was offered in a 1-ton or less?

But GM does not offer a solid front axle that is why the truck would have to be moved up.

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
if thats the case how can you put a cummins in a ford and run it as long as its out of a 1 ton or less truck should still be about to pull in the same class

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Don't most rules say something about having stock suspension? I'm no puller, so I really don't know.