LMM: Can't read PCM after new GM update

Mac Daddy

Apr 25, 2008
Mont Belvieu,TX.
I recently had a new update from GM installed on my truck and now am receiving an error and it won't read the PCM. Anyone experience this and if so how did you correct it?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thats your issue...

i cant remember how to fix this issue but i believe it has to do with either a bench flash into the ecm or using a tech2 or something.

basically, you screwed the pooch leaving the tune in there

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What are you using to try to read/program the truck? What sort of tuning did you have installed? What sort of update was performed on the truck?

Mac Daddy

Apr 25, 2008
Mont Belvieu,TX.
What are you using to try to read/program the truck? What sort of tuning did you have installed? What sort of update was performed on the truck?

Using EFILive to read/program. I had a 120hp tune installed and the mechanic only told me it was the latest GM update (he was vague)

scramHD

Aug 24, 2008
Tx / MS / AL / MEX / FL
Update your V2's firmware and you need to re load the stock tune file. Then load the TIS stock file if you have one. Then the tune. Always load the original stock tune when truck goes to dealer. Likely the mechanic now has a 120hp tune as well.
The other may be a result of a bad ground. ABS module's ground to frame will cause error with V2 when flashing/reading.
Im certainly not an expert but have had similar issues after dealer visit. My other LB7 wouldn't start after dealer reflash and 45 over injectors installed by dealer. I just reflashed my stock tune, cranked it, shut it down, then loaded my tune.

Good luck

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've never seen EFILive not be able to flash an LMM ECM unless there is some other issue (possibly outdated software/firmware or a wiring issue on the truck). Are you able to connect to the truck and read data from the ECM?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
thats your issue...

i cant remember how to fix this issue but i believe it has to do with either a bench flash into the ecm or using a tech2 or something.

basically, you screwed the pooch leaving the tune in there
What does having a tune overwritten by a stock gm calibration via a mdi or tech2 have to do with not being able read the ecm? As far as I know, the gm flash procedure doesn't care whats there and as long as it can unlock the ecm, it'll overwrite whatever is there and you'll be back to stock.

Now, if gm is implementing a new seed/key algorithm, then thats a different story.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I guess the real question is why did you have an update done in the first place? Were you having a problem you were hoping would be resolved by an updated calibration from GM? If everything was fine before this, don’t worry about reading out the stock file; just flash your old tune back in over the top of it.

Mac Daddy

Apr 25, 2008
Mont Belvieu,TX.
I've never seen EFILive not be able to flash an LMM ECM unless there is some other issue (possibly outdated software/firmware or a wiring issue on the truck). Are you able to connect to the truck and read data from the ECM?

I am able to connect and read ECM...but when the Scan is complete a message pops up "Cannot merge calibration with CPU system file C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Configuration\M97.ext"

Mac Daddy

Apr 25, 2008
Mont Belvieu,TX.
Update your V2's firmware and you need to re load the stock tune file. Then load the TIS stock file if you have one. Then the tune. Always load the original stock tune when truck goes to dealer. Likely the mechanic now has a 120hp tune as well.
The other may be a result of a bad ground. ABS module's ground to frame will cause error with V2 when flashing/reading.
Im certainly not an expert but have had similar issues after dealer visit. My other LB7 wouldn't start after dealer reflash and 45 over injectors installed by dealer. I just reflashed my stock tune, cranked it, shut it down, then loaded my tune.

Good luck

The ABS ground mounted driver side on frame?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What does having a tune overwritten by a stock gm calibration via a mdi or tech2 have to do with not being able read the ecm? As far as I know, the gm flash procedure doesn't care whats there and as long as it can unlock the ecm, it'll overwrite whatever is there and you'll be back to stock.

Now, if gm is implementing a new seed/key algorithm, then thats a different story.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

i couldnt tell you, i just know it becomes a real pain in the ass lol.