Can I get a custom tune for an H&S Tuner?

Mikey52

Sep 20, 2018
There may be someone north of our border that still does tuning. Finding them may be tough.

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
Maybe this stuff could get moved to a different thread, but are there still bigger fish to fry or are us small fry going to start get burnt soon as well? I am kind of glad my truck is a 2001, but not like that will stop them from trying.

They've gotten most all of the bigger fish at this point (or they've preemptively closed up shop already). That said, the last big EPA suit I saw (maybe 6-8 months ago) had like 85 businesses listed (most I'd never heard of), so they're getting the smaller ones, too.

The pre-emissions stuff changes the game a little bit, as you're not 'defeating' anything. They could still probably make the argument that by tuning it, you're altering the calibration by which it passed whatever emissions controls, but I haven't heard of them doing that (yet). That argument could technically be made all the way back to changing jets in carbs, but I don't think they'll go that far.

As for the hobbiests tuning vehicles for themselves, I don't think they'll come after individuals. Way too much effort for what they'll get out of it. The better bang-for-their-buck move that they'll make is going after the software and hardware providers. I know they already did this with SCT several years back (forcing them to remove lot of options and tables from the tuning software). It'll be interesting to see what kind of pressure they'll be able to put on the non-US companies.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
They've gotten most all of the bigger fish at this point (or they've preemptively closed up shop already). That said, the last big EPA suit I saw (maybe 6-8 months ago) had like 85 businesses listed (most I'd never heard of), so they're getting the smaller ones, too.

The pre-emissions stuff changes the game a little bit, as you're not 'defeating' anything. They could still probably make the argument that by tuning it, you're altering the calibration by which it passed whatever emissions controls, but I haven't heard of them doing that (yet). That argument could technically be made all the way back to changing jets in carbs, but I don't think they'll go that far.

As for the hobbiests tuning vehicles for themselves, I don't think they'll come after individuals. Way too much effort for what they'll get out of it. The better bang-for-their-buck move that they'll make is going after the software and hardware providers. I know they already did this with SCT several years back (forcing them to remove lot of options and tables from the tuning software). It'll be interesting to see what kind of pressure they'll be able to put on the non-US companies.
They 100% are doing this but its a combination of emission delete AND tuning older trucks. i got first hand info on quite a few shops who told me this after their epa visit. They will use this on gasser tuners too who are tuning but not deleting. If it is not EPA cert'ed, you can be fined just as well, the question is, is how small is too small for them to deem it worth going after someone