Help: Can anyone ID this Trans?

tripleD

Apr 18, 2017
I have a 2003 Duramax Quad Cab with an LB7/Allison and am looking at a 2006 motor/Allison combo that the owner is not quite sure what model he has LLY or LBZ (he bought it used and only has the motor/trans). I believe everything is an LBZ/6spd Allison combo.

The last part of the equation is if the rear housing on the trans is a 4x4 or a 4x2. I am not sure from the picture I have seen. If you could take a closer look and tell me what you think. I believe the rear housing can be swapped with my 03 Allison and it should work to convert it from 4x2 to 4x4.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Duramax Trans.jpg
    Duramax Trans.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 113

tripleD

Apr 18, 2017
I agree, its a 6spd trans.

I think the whole setup is from 2006 and the motor is an LBZ even though its being advertised as an LLY motor/trans.

I don't see any other possibility unless I am mistaken somehow on the production years of the LLY.

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
They made An lly in 06. The 8th digit if it were an lly would be a 2 if not mistaken. If it were to be an lbz, it would be a D. I suppose I'm sure you don't have a vin off it though.

tripleD

Apr 18, 2017
Thanks!! My suspicions were confirmed. LBZ with 2wd trans. This should work nicely for the swap I am planning.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
No NSBU and shape of the extension housing, and speed sensor mount on tail.

What he said, and the 06+ shift shaft doesn't stick out far enough to put a nsbu on it even if you wanted to, so you know it's not a 5 speed with the nsbu removed. And the fact it has 3 speed sensors present means it was an lbz model as the lmm 07.5+ did away with the speed sensor in the bellhousing.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Read up on swapping extension housings. It's bit more than unbolt and swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk