Cam or Heads???

B1 596

Dmax rods cost how much..
Apr 30, 2010
Hudson N.H.
beyond an alternate firing order cam apparently being the way to go to save crank failures. I'm wondering if anyone has any real life experiences with just a cam swap or just going from stock heads to ported heads with no other changes. Has anyone swapped just a cam in? Or just ported heads? Curious what your experience was over the original stock cam or stock heads? Faster spool? Better egt's? Hp gain? Obviously results will vary with different cam designs but i'd like to hear opinions from those that have done it.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I will be able to answer just a cam swap soon. I had a 8410 regular firing order and switched to a 9100 alternative firing order. They are similar in lifts but the 9100 has about 10 degrees more duration.

Last edited:

derrickmanx1

I'm that guy
Dec 30, 2010
central texas
Got everything back from the machine shop. I'm building it back up now. I took a bunch of work to get it balanced though. I can't wait to get it going.

derrickmanx1

I'm that guy
Dec 30, 2010
central texas
Got it back to long block status. The valves are lashed and i'm ready to install the injectors and turbo. What numbers do you think i'll make. I'm thinking 740/1300.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Got it back to long block status. The valves are lashed and i'm ready to install the injectors and turbo. What numbers do you think i'll make. I'm thinking 740/1300.

Should do that no problem. I can't remember for certain but I think Mark made well over 800 with that turbo?