Cam or Heads???

derrickmanx1

I'm that guy
Dec 30, 2010
central texas
Where is my money best spent? In the heads or in the cam during my motor build I'm looking at the 3388 from socal in the alternate firing. My heads have about 160k miles on them. I think I should at least have them checked but was looking at the socal service or the exchage upgrade. I'll be running a Gt-3794 stgII from danville 80% injectors dual fuelers and will twin it later. I just want to make solid power and be reliable as a daily driver.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I would port the heads now and upgrade the cam later when you are able to do valve reliefs. A stock cam leaves hardly any clearance between valve and piston, so a aftermarket cam that doesnt require valve reliefs seems not worth much to me. Unless the only thing you're after is the alternate firing order.....

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
save and do both, do it the way you want to the first go around. will save money on gaskets/fluids and all that stuff in the long run.

derrickmanx1

I'm that guy
Dec 30, 2010
central texas
I know the 3388 socal alternate fire cam is on a massive backorder right now. That is the one i'm looking at. I hear it helps the engine run smoother. Some even claim it helps reduce crank failures.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
1000hp can be had with stock heads and upgraded springs with the right turbo setup. Now you could probably make more power with good heads and the same turbos but the end goals will determine what is worth it and what is not.

derrickmanx1

I'm that guy
Dec 30, 2010
central texas
I would port the heads now and upgrade the cam later when you are able to do valve reliefs. A stock cam leaves hardly any clearance between valve and piston, so a aftermarket cam that doesnt require valve reliefs seems not worth much to me. Unless the only thing you're after is the alternate firing order.....

I was thinking about sending my pistons to socal to get the valve reliefs and recoated. I have delipped lb7 pistons already. After looking at the heads i'll make my decision on sending them to socal or letting my machinist work them. I also need to have the crank keyed and the whole thing balanced with my carillo rods. The thing i'm after is the alternate firing order as well as more reliable power.

derrickmanx1

I'm that guy
Dec 30, 2010
central texas
1000hp can be had with stock heads and upgraded springs with the right turbo setup. Now you could probably make more power with good heads and the same turbos but the end goals will determine what is worth it and what is not.

I'm wanting to twin over my gt-3794 at some point. So I want a good foundation. It would be great if I could make a 1000hp and drive it daily as well. I wonder what turbo I would need for that power level s483????

derrickmanx1

I'm that guy
Dec 30, 2010
central texas
I'm probably just going to do both the cam and the heads. I don't want to have to tear it down this far again. I got studs for top and bottom and upgraded the balancer and the flexplate with arp bolts as well. I may even spray paint the engine while it's apart.:thumb: That has to be worth a few hp.:rofl:

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
The 483 with a billet wheel is a really nice turbo and will get the power you are looking for.
I'm wanting to twin over my gt-3794 at some point. So I want a good foundation. It would be great if I could make a 1000hp and drive it daily as well. I wonder what turbo I would need for that power level s483????

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I wish someone had an alternate firing order 3388 camshaft for sale. Socal is on back order for them right now.
Have you checked with other AF cam manufacturers for something similar to the 3388? We all know who I'm talking about but I won't mention the name as they are not a paying vendor.