Cam or Heads???

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I can tell you 100% that my truck runs way smoother with the AF cam. On my first built motor, and my stock motor, i couldn't run both merchant mounts without it rattling all my interior like crazy. With this motor and an AF cam, I have merchant mounts and a poly trans mount and nothing rattles.

If you built an engine without one, drove it 4,500 miles and broke a brand new LB7 crank, you will do whatever it takes to hopefully not break one again. Believe me and many others who have dealt with it, it sucks breaking cranks

BHoward6.6

West Coast
Feb 9, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA
I can tell you 100% that my truck runs way smoother with the AF cam. On my first built motor, and my stock motor, i couldn't run both merchant mounts without it rattling all my interior like crazy. With this motor and an AF cam, I have merchant mounts and a poly trans mount and nothing rattles.

If you built an engine without one, drove it 4,500 miles and broke a brand new LB7 crank, you will do whatever it takes to hopefully not break one again. Believe me and many others who have dealt with it, it sucks breaking cranks

I know exactly what you mean, on both points. :truestory:

POWER Freak

Nov 20, 2008
Idaho
I waited for the socal cam for 3 months or so before I finally just threw the motor together with a keyed stock cam. Maybe a guy should order it now and then save for headwork until it arrives!!!:roflmao:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Heck everyone is on back order right now. I still don't know if it's much better to run AF as opposed to standard.

Have you read the broken crank thread? Your crazy if you don't think the alt. fire cam is priority...

Idaho Rob posted that he broke a crank at least once a season before going to an alt. fire cam... Now no broken cranks sense.

Mark at Danville has posted similar results...

Harbin broke a brand new crank in under 10,000 miles with a std. fire cam... Now he runs an alt. fire as well...

I don't need anymore info to know if it helps are not. My minds made up.

DieselmafiaLLY

Keep Calm and Go Crazy
Apr 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Have you read the broken crank thread? Your crazy if you don't think the alt. fire cam is priority...

Idaho Rob posted that he broke a crank at least once a season before going to an alt. fire cam... Now no broken cranks sense.

Mark at Danville has posted similar results...

Harbin broke a brand new crank in under 10,000 miles with a std. fire cam... Now he runs an alt. fire as well...

I don't need anymore info to know if it helps are not. My minds made up.
X2 clearly proven to work

derrickmanx1

I'm that guy
Dec 30, 2010
central texas
Now who's cm to get??? None in stock at Socal or empire that will not need relief cuts for the valves anyway. With my 3794 stg2 would I benefit from the larger cam at all?? I have plans to twin it in the future with a s/480+. As a daily driver it is important to stay streetable for me.

Last edited:

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
I was using a socal 6480 it did require valve reliefs, was in a compound setup with a 366/483, dual fuel and 100 Over injectors. It was very streetable. I could tow what ever I wanted with it and it spooled very smooth.
Now who's cm to get??? None in stock at Socal or empire that will not need relief cuts for the valves anyway. With my 3794 stg2 would I benefit from the larger cam at all?? I have plans to twin it in the future with a s/480+. As a daily driver it is important to stay streetable for me.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I ordered an empire cam on thursday. They mentioned about 9:30am they had just gotten a big batch of cams in stock, 15 minutes later I ordered my alt firing cam since I figured they be back ordered again real quick.

derrickmanx1

I'm that guy
Dec 30, 2010
central texas
Well I ordered the cam and springs as well. It was in stock so we will see how it goes. I just hope danville tunes the alt fire cam or I guess I can just change the harness.