Calling all machine shop guru's

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
Through some swapping and trading, I ended up with a radial drill press much like this. The one pictured is a model L3, mine is an L2 1/2. Made in Italy, but has a tag on the head that reads: Aaron machinery co. New York, N.Y. It works, but is missing the handle that raises/lowers the spindle. There is just a shaft sticking out with a spiral wound spring on it. The round handle under the head that must have something to do with the power feed up/down is also missing. I can make a handle that will work, but it has to at least have a bushing, a seal, and an anchor for the spring. What I am trying to figure out is what else should this handle have/do ? I am pretty much grasping at straws, trying to find any info on this thing. I also got a cnc mill in the deal, but that is another problem altogether.

Attachments

• drill press.jpg
    drill press.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 39
  • drill head.jpg
    drill head.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 31

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
Thanks, I guess I'll probably have to join a machinist forum or 2 now. Maybe this can keep my mind off my truck until my tranny fund gets full.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
IIRC, the handle on the bottom was hooked up to the power feed shaft. You would have to spin it as you changed the feed rates. The two handle job on the front is the feed clutch and is also used to raise the spindle up and down. Is that the one that's missing?

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
Yes, the whole assembly with the two handles is gone. If that is also the clutch, it might be harder to make, but I'm still looking for a machine tool parts store.