Built Motor Reliability

GeorgiaDuramax

Enthusiast
May 5, 2010
Georgia
I thought the sled pulling would be worse not much air moving thru there and and dont they run 1 speed or a 2 speed trans now,holding a high rpm for a longer time?

I guess not much air moves through the turbo while pulling a sled. This is off JT's truck from Diesel's in Dark Corners pull this past fall.

Attachments

• Ooooops.jpg
    Ooooops.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 106

James Hess

Jun 9, 2008
Tucson AZ.
I brought this up a while back on a different forum but has anyone thought of cryo treatin the parts?

I read a little bit into it when i read about it in a magazine and what i gathered is it basically takes all the static stress rom forging and what not out of it from when they were made.

It doesnt necesarily make them stronger but eliminates the weak spots.

Just a thought not sure if they do that already though.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I brought this up a while back on a different forum but has anyone thought of cryo treatin the parts?

I read a little bit into it when i read about it in a magazine and what i gathered is it basically takes all the static stress rom forging and what not out of it from when they were made.

It doesnt necesarily make them stronger but eliminates the weak spots.

Just a thought not sure if they do that already though.

Cryo is worthless IMO.

I guess not much air moves through the turbo while pulling a sled. This is off JT's truck from Diesel's in Dark Corners pull this past fall.

Airflow through the radiator/intercooler...

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I'm going to cryo my stock rods and reuse them... I heard cryo will straighten them for me and make them much stronger :D

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Cryo is used in aerospace on some components, and while they don't do things in aerospace based on superstition, it's not a magic bullet either.

It's an additional step of heat treating steels to improve fracture resistance and wear properties. It basically "finishes" what high temp heat treat starts. It's not going to make parts much (if any) stronger, but can make them last longer.

Gears are a prime use of the process.

carpenca

Dec 17, 2010
The two broken cranks Ive seen had two things in common, and one that seperated them from all the other built motors Ive seen. They both Spun 5k or better and they both had FluidDampners on them. The one that makes them an outlier in comparison to all the other motors is the fluidDampner...

Caleb

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I think that the % of broken cranks that were in stock motors or had a stock balancer, that we know about publicly, is much higher than the % that had a Fluidampner. I can't really speculate on the % with an ATI dampner but Ill bet its kinda high since most people running ATI dampners are running all-out builds and have had carnage just because of the power level they are at compared to the rest.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I agree with Jeff though, it is a combination of so many things I think, and that's why it's so hard for R&D guys like Socal or TTS or Tony, or Mark...or any of us that decide to put one of these together, to narrow it down to one culprit. it will probably be a few more years before we try enough combinations of filled blocks, cranks, cams, balancing tools, girdles, driveline setups, tuning, etc in order to find why these break right at #2.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I think that the % of broken cranks that were in stock motors or had a stock balancer, that we know about publicly, is much higher than the % that had a Fluidampner. I can't really speculate on the % with an ATI dampner but Ill bet its kinda high since most people running ATI dampners are running all-out builds and have had carnage just because of the power level they are at compared to the rest.

I would bet you almost anything that stock or near stock trucks break more cranks than any built motor truck.