Build costs

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
When you see white smoke at idle on a warm engine, you need to do a compression test pronto. Other things can cause white smoke, but bent rods can cost you several thousand dollars if ignored.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I bent all 8 of mine. I was in the staging lane for another pass in my 02 and noticed it smoking white at idle, checked the balance rates and they were all over the board. Shut it down on the spot. When we pulled the engine all 8 were bent a little and the cylinder walls were so heat scored we decided not to even use the block. Those one mile hill pulls in Montana with a 10,000 lbs trailer plus running 50/50 h2o/meth and propane with bigger injectors from ATS probably didn't help either.

The trucking with kids event that McRat was talking about, (if it was the same event I attended 2006) was costly for me too. The big rigs were so damn jammed in to the place that I was trying to get around one of them and caught the steel bracket that was holding his mud flap. Took out the rear door skin on my passenger's side and bent his bracket a little, he soaked my insurance company for $1000 to fix his bracket. Door wasn't cheap either.

Last edited:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
This is such a long thread, no I didn't read the whole thing it would take all day lol. Forgive me if this is been answered before, but havent seen anything on this.. What is the difference between clevite "P" and "H" bearings? I see pretty much everyone uses, or atleast tells people to use H bearings. On the other hand I can name atleast one who felt fine using P and his motor is still spinning. Big difference in cost?