Broken ZF

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
I guess I finally broke my ZF. About a month ago I was cruising down the roadtowing my 33' tandem dually flatbed and I snapped the 6th gear syncro ring and tore up some teeth. I was hoping to make 200K on this trans but I came up about 6K short. So far I can't find anyone else that has had this issue but towing in 6th seems to be everyones excuse why it broke.
Any thoughts here?

the4wheeler

--->(Something Funny)<---
May 4, 2008
Ventura County SoCal
bummer! sorry to hear have any picts yet?
my only thought (iv never seen in side one) but maby heat stress/fatigue did it in? i know our trans can run prity hot...

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
I'll get some pic's up. It happened over a month ago so stuff is all lined out to get parts from Midwest,just need to get parts ordered. Money has been going torwards my business so it may sit for another month :(.
My dually has gotten almost 8000mi in 3mo though.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
While a bummmer the milage is impressive IMHO. A NV4500 and NV5600 are really only good for 100K when towing.

Your one of the very few myself included that has managed to killl the ZF6.:D

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
The last 90K have been towing 30,000lbs on an almost weekly basis and sometimes 2-3 times a week so I guess 194K isn't bad :D.
We both expect a lot out of our trucks :D.
BTW hows the triple disc working out for you? I was talking to Manfield at SBC about one recently.

While a bummmer the milage is impressive IMHO. A NV4500 and NV5600 are really only good for 100K when towing.

Your one of the very few myself included that has managed to killl the ZF6.:D

Last edited:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
The last 90K have been towing 30,000lbs on an almost weekly basis and sometimes 2-3 times a week so I guess 194K isn't bad :D.
We both expect a lot out of our trucks :D.
BTW hows the triple disc working out for you? I was talking to Manfield at SBC about one recently.

I killed 2nd gear in a NV4500 with less then 100k miles. That was only towing on weekends with SBC power.

The triple seems good. It holds well and is easy to work. The only thing I dont like with mine is the centifical weighting. Above 3500 rpm it wants to leave even if I had the pedal to the floor.

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
Parts are on their way from Midwest Trans as we speak. Should be here in a couple days. Inputs are on backorder from GM though so I may put the old one back in for now :(. Once I figure our where to get a cable for my phone I'll get pic's up. The 6th gear syncro assembly looked to have exploded. And
4th was next but hadn't quite let go yet. Glad it just took 6th out so I was able to get home.

yall get these fixed yet???

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
I got most of my trans parts and went after my t-case. Got into it and found that the front half of the case was shot and that the chain was streched spetty good. And I thought I was just going to put a rebuild kit in and a pump rub fix. Guess it's time for a new t-case.

12secondhandshaker

<---Stock trans
Jan 21, 2009
Sparta, MI
I broke a pin last season in the 4-5 shifter linkage in my trans and had Midwest rebuild the whole trans with 05 parts(supposedly stronger?) plus the transfer case with the pump rub fix.

They do awesome work and are very reasonable. Dan is great to deal with!

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
Finished trans and install late Friday. Saturday I went to the first pull of the season here in NE and took 1st in both the 8000lb and 8500lb work stock weight classes. Monday morning I hooked onto my trailer and about 45mi from home the t-case went into 4lo and shortly after went to neutral and is stuck there :mad:. Manual shifter and externally everything seems to work. So time to tear it apart again.