Broken flexplate?

jzts0214

Nov 29, 2010
Strasburg CO
Has any one broke a flex plate before? I got a rattling noise when I put my truck in reverse but it goes away once I start moving.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Has any one broke a flex plate before? I got a rattling noise when I put my truck in reverse but it goes away once I start moving.

Happens all the time. If the engine is stock and you haven't beat on it too much; chances are you are missing 1 or 2 dowl pins in the back of the engine block. Missing pins will cause a mis-alignment and load from the flex plate to the torque converter.
I just finished doing a flex plate change on an '07.5 with 70K miles. Flex plate was cracked pretty bad and there were no alignment pins from the factory.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Is there an upgrade for flex plate?

SoCal Diesel has a great billet replacement. I use them and they will not break. SoCal Diesel is a vendor here. Talk to Guy or Lorenzo and they will guide you to what you need.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Happens all the time. If the engine is stock and you haven't beat on it too much; chances are you are missing 1 or 2 dowl pins in the back of the engine block. Missing pins will cause a mis-alignment and load from the flex plate to the torque converter.
I just finished doing a flex plate change on an '07.5 with 70K miles. Flex plate was cracked pretty bad and there were no alignment pins from the factory.

Interesting......

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
It could also be the exhaust rattling with the torque of the engine reversed. I had a similar situation and it was the exhaust..

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
check the convertor bolts before you pull it, if they started backing out it will do the same thing

If the converter bolts come loose, they will elongate the holes in the flex plate. Tightening them down will be a temporary band aid and it will come back.

Tomz28

Feb 29, 2012
Mike what do you think of the BD flex upgrade? it cant be as strong as Guys but for a stock truck it should work. unless it has a issuse that i dont know about

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Check the prices and compare. If your flex plate hurt the flywheel, there will hardly be a difference in price.
Think about this. It can happen again with a stock flex plate. It won't happen again with the SoCal setup.:thumb:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Flexplate

I just had a stock flywheel explode on my car! It's not very pretty when that happens. I was running the BD flexplate on the stock flywheel and the BD did survive but I put one of Guys in now. It's a very nice product and now I know it won't happen again. I wish I would have had Guys in from the start. I would have saved a bunch of money in the long run.