Brakes and Power Steering Dead

GoHusaberg

2007 LBZ
Dec 20, 2020
Virginia Beach
Hello all. 2007 2500HD Classic LBZ. I searched quite a few forums and never really saw any complete answers but saw plenty of posts about both brake and power steering failing together. Pretty scary stuff to say the least. Anyway, we went to back out of the driveway one morning and that's what happened. After finding that the hydro-boost is a common component for both systems I started pricing them out. Before ordering anything however, I read that there is also some sort of valve that can get stuck. I decided to put the truck in neutral and rev it up a little at which point I heard a click and both the steering and brakes snapped back to normal. I drove the truck on a few short trips and all is normal. Hmmm.

Anyway, I am looking for anyone who can tell me exactly what could have caused this problem. I saw quite a few posts where dealerships could not re-create the same problem on trucks with similar symptoms and simply told customers everything should be fine. Nope. "Reasonable man theory" is that this will happen again. I will not screw around with this issue and will replace anything and everything that could have caused it whether we identify the exact part that caused the problem or not. Also, the truck has 187K miles so if there are any recommendations or upgrades you would recommend particularly for the brakes and/or steering I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks in advance! -Rick

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Hello all. 2007 2500HD Classic LBZ. I searched quite a few forums and never really saw any complete answers but saw plenty of posts about both brake and power steering failing together. Pretty scary stuff to say the least. Anyway, we went to back out of the driveway one morning and that's what happened. After finding that the hydro-boost is a common component for both systems I started pricing them out. Before ordering anything however, I read that there is also some sort of valve that can get stuck. I decided to put the truck in neutral and rev it up a little at which point I heard a click and both the steering and brakes snapped back to normal. I drove the truck on a few short trips and all is normal. Hmmm.

Anyway, I am looking for anyone who can tell me exactly what could have caused this problem. I saw quite a few posts where dealerships could not re-create the same problem on trucks with similar symptoms and simply told customers everything should be fine. Nope. "Reasonable man theory" is that this will happen again. I will not screw around with this issue and will replace anything and everything that could have caused it whether we identify the exact part that caused the problem or not. Also, the truck has 187K miles so if there are any recommendations or upgrades you would recommend particularly for the brakes and/or steering I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks in advance! -Rick
When was the last time the power steering and brake fluid was flushed out?

GoHusaberg

2007 LBZ
Dec 20, 2020
Virginia Beach
Hasn't been flushed since we have owned it but it's getting flushed Wednesday this week. We have put about 80K on it since we bought it. It will be on the schedule from here forward.

For Cougar281 - Both not totally dead. They both died and then came back to life after a loud click noise when I revved it up in neutral and have been working like new since. Not sure a sheared PS pump shaft would be the problem.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Oh, I missed the 'came back to life' part. Yeah, in that case, most likely not a sheared shaft.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I could see the pressure relief on the power steering pump getting debris in it causing it to get stuck open. That may drop the pressure enough to make the brakes and steering weeks

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
There is a valve on the outlet side of the pump that sometimes fails to operate properly. Go to a GM-based parts lookup and look at the junction between the pump and the outlet hose. There are many posts about this on some diesel forum sites, usually because people with large tires can't turn them when motor s at idle speed, like in a parking lot.