Brake Pads

Forever

This 1 time, at band camp
Jan 4, 2009
Utah
Just had my rotors & calipers painted red. Why I have everything apart, I'm going to replace the brake pads. The guy told me at NAPA to not use ceramic. Another guy told me to use the GM Factory pads.

I'm looking for the best brake pads, with very little brake dust (because everything is painted).

Any advice?

- 2010 LMM

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Semi metallic usually causes a lot of brake dust and ceramic doesn't. I've been using ceramic pads on both front & rear with no issues or noises.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
factory GM, my first set is still going strong at 140k miles i shit you not, my trailblazer also on first set of factory pads going on 122k

edit: my calpiers and brackets are painted black with POR15 and i have zero dust they still look clean aside the little ammount of road dust

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
4-6mm of pad left is considered the "yellow" range for brakes. If they have more than that and are not causing any issues I don't see the need to replace them. Now if your rotors are glazed with coloring or hot spots you might want to machine them if they're within spec and install new pads. 30k miles still seems to low to replace pads IMO

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
184k miles on the clock and still have 1/2 of my pads left. Enough evidence for me factory GM FTW

X2. I upgraded to slotted rotors on the front to help with heat but the pads are still OEM. Rears are all OEM Rotors and pads.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
is this all fact that GM makes superior product. most makes can go 40-60K on pads... and we are all doubling that number and still going...this puts a grin on my face :D :D :D

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
is this all fact that GM makes superior product. most makes can go 40-60K on pads... and we are all doubling that number and still going...this puts a grin on my face :D :D :D

Pretty sure GM uses RAYBESTOS blue ceramics on the assembly line for pickups. There are some good brake pads out there, but there is also some REAL GARBAGE out there. Stick with good pads, not the crap from AUTOZONE and ADVANCE and you should be fine.

You guys could always be driving the older GM trucks where 25K miles of towing is considered good pad life.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
the dealership i work for we use factory pads on all certified used but on non certified we use NAPA and they dont last for shit, i only ever buy factory parts now, i used to be that guy that said factory parts are overpriced garbage but not anymore their stuff really is better.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
I bought my 02 truck with 98,000 miles on it from the original owner. He said he'd never done brakes on it so I was able to talk him down $300 on his asking price just knowing I'd have to put rotors and pads on it right away. Bought the truck and changed all the fluids and pulled the tires to do brakes the next week only to find the pads looked damn near new. 25,000 miles later I still haven't had to replace them...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Just had my rotors & calipers painted red. Why I have everything apart, I'm going to replace the brake pads. The guy told me at NAPA to not use ceramic. Another guy told me to use the GM Factory pads.

I'm looking for the best brake pads, with very little brake dust (because everything is painted).

Any advice?

- 2010 LMM

The guy at NAPA doenst know shit. They come with ceramic from the factory. That's why they last so long.
I switched to Hawk SuperDuty pads with slotted rotors and noticed a huge difference. The Hawk pads have ZERO brake dust. Dont forget to upgrade to the braided SS line while you're at it.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
The guy at NAPA doenst know shit. They come with ceramic from the factory. That's why they last so long.
I switched to Hawk SuperDuty pads with slotted rotors and noticed a huge difference. The Hawk pads have ZERO brake dust. Dont forget to upgrade to the braided SS line while you're at it.

X2 I asked napa for their premium fuel filter of whatever, he said they were out of them and asked how much boost I was pushing... I said 35 psi and he whistled and said that's a lot but a normal fuel filter would work.

I didn't even want to argue. Then he asked if I had a lift pump and I said yes a fass and he said "man those things scream!"

How the heck could he tell how my truck ran from boost psi lol

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
Raybestos Blue Ceramic. Carquest or RA have them. I replaced my factory ones at 220k (because I thought I should) but didn't need to do the fronts. I did anyhow. Excellent quality pads. Pricey... but cheap brakes aren't a bargain.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
X2 I asked napa for their premium fuel filter of whatever, he said they were out of them and asked how much boost I was pushing... I said 35 psi and he whistled and said that's a lot but a normal fuel filter would work.

I didn't even want to argue. Then he asked if I had a lift pump and I said yes a fass and he said "man those things scream!"

How the heck could he tell how my truck ran from boost psi lol

dont worry, i had one guy in NAPA try to call my bluff that i had a fast ass dmax as i was chatting with my uncle getting him parts for his A/C at the store. i popped the hood and he no longer wanted to race his dmax that had a edge only on it :rofl:. woulda been a easy 100 bucks