Brake Flush

T&K

Apr 22, 2021
So I flushed my brake fluid last night.. big mistake! Now I can’t get them to pressure back up my pedal just goes to the floor and when I crack the bleeder screw on the caliper the fluid just runs out and has no pressure. Just to give you an idea this is the process I used to flush the system. I started by syphoning the fluid out of the reservoir, then I filled it up with clean brake fluid and starting at the driver rear worked my way around the truck ending at the driver front draining the bleeder screws until clear fluid came out. I kept the reservoir full and had my brother pump the brakes to speed up the process. I also flushed the power steering in much the same process. I have bled the master cylinder and and the calipers multiple times and still can’t get any pressure on my pedal. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I never bleed brakes by pumping them. I use the motive power bleeder and it works good. Problem you get when you pump the brakes is you aerate the fluid make it take forever to bleed brakes that way.

Reactions: GMC_2002_Dmax

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
pumping them can cause air to get sucked in the bleeder when lifting the pedal back up unless you can close the bleeder before lifting each time. do it again but don't "pump" them. inside, open the bleeder, press the brake pedal, close the bleeder, lift the brake pedal. repeat until clear.

or you can apply a vacuum at the bleeder with something like the mighty vac or pressure at the reservoir. you will need a tech 2 or something similar to cycle the ABS inorder to get the fluid out of there too

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
You can speed up the process of trying to get the air out of the system by starting on the passenger side and compressing both of the calipers. Press the brake pedal several times until the caliper fully extends. repeat this 2-3 times, then bleed using the press brake pedal, open bleeder, closed bleeder, press brake pedal several times (press hold, release count to 3, press hold, release count to 3) and repeat. All this is done without the engine running. I know on the 04's the brakes will gravity bleed once you get enough of the air out.

You may have to go around the truck a couple of times to get the air completely out. Note if the truck is running you can fully press the pedal as the hydro boost will let you apply that much pressure.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Motiv Power Bleeder, one way bleeder valves on the caliper bleeder screw, allows you to pump the brakes and not introduce air as fluid can only pass in one direction.

I purge/change the fluid annually on my two vette's and my trucks, takes very little time to do it.

Good Luck

I like the idea of the one way bleeder valve. I may just pick me up some for my next brake bleed job. seems like it would make things 10x easier

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
I like the idea of the one way bleeder valve. I may just pick me up some for my next brake bleed job. seems like it would make things 10x easier
I use speed bleeders on my truck and love them, never an issue bleeding the brakes.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

Hate2Looz

Jul 31, 2020
Michigan
Zero reason to pump brakes just to flush fluid. Do a proper brake bleed and get the air out, it will work fine. A pressure bleeder will speed up a flush but it’s not necessary.