Bought a triple turbo duramax!

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
"built motor" does not mean it has aftermarket rods, it just means that it is not the stock motor. there is no standard set in stone as far as i am concerned when somebody says built motor.

05chevy

Jun 10, 2010
To me. You can do all you want to the motor but if it doesn't have rods/ supporting rotating assembly it isn't a built motor

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
It has Carrillo rods, billet pushrods, socal springs, everythings keyed, 20 over socal pistons, etc. It wasn't doing that when we picked it up but it was smoking and knocking he claimed bad fuel put in the night before but that's BS, #2 and #6 injector wires were switched?!? and yea, its smokes like crazy #2 glow plug is missing the tip..... The knock isn't constant though. Kinda comes and goes

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
From the little I can hear it sounds like it lost a piston. Looks like oil is seaping from the exhaust port for #2. And all the smoke would be from the oil it is burning. Does it have a ton of blow by? To check for blow by you can either leave the oil fill cap on and check out the PCV or remove oil fill cap and kink or cap the PCV to check out the oil fill. If you remove the oil fill but leave the PCV flowing it won't build pressure.

Last edited:

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
No, we bought it as is, we're not holding David responsible at all or gonna try to make him pay for it. Just trying to figure out whats wrong with it.

MD-Dmax

Jan 6, 2010
We know the truck and what is done to it better then you guys and I would have no problems trying to help, I don't work that way I'd be more then willing to help you with any questions you guys have

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Well I called the builder today and it looks like the glow plug tip is the culprit. That's nobodys fault but you can't tell me it wasn't like that when he sold it and claimed it had bad fuel that was making it smoke and knock. The fuel was perfectly fine, we dropped the tank and checked it....