Blew out the side of my oil cooler

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
Yes it sounds crazy and stupid. I consider myself a pretty well rounded mechanic and I also do it for a living. Anyways I tackled my first lb7 water pump job which wasn't a terrible job but in the process of removing corrosion kept the oil cooler pipe from seperating from the water pump and ended up coming out of the water pump. So didn't think much about it I replaced the oring on the pipe and slid her back in the cooler and proceeded to install the water pump lined everything up but noticed a small gap between the front cover and pump. Messed with for 20 minutes so I decided to run bolts in and work back and forth (done it 100 times on cat engines water pumps) anyways heard a nasty pop. Turns out the pop was the oil cooler busting where the pipe goes in. The pipe is made to go in a specific way I'm guessing. I ordered a new cooler and haven't messed with it. Can anyone confirm if the flat part of the pipe faces up towards manifold or did I just have an expensive idiot moment that I will learn from haha. Thanks guys

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The pipe is the same no matter how you turn it (the squished part is the same on both sides). As long as the bolt holes line up with the studs in the water pump, it is rotated correctly. For the record, pulling down the water pump with the bolts on a Duramax should never be necessary. If you think you have to do that, something is wrong.

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
Ok thanks josh. I must've had the pipe on the ledge of the cooler housing. It will never happen again I'll tell you that much

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
We all have to learn somehow. Unfortunately, yours was an expensive lesson.