Billet wheel options for Garrett GT4094VA stage 2 turbo

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
Hey everyone,
The previous owner of my LBZ had the motor rebuilt right before he bought it because the egr clogged up and caused damage. When he was putting it all back together he installed a Garrett gt4094VA turbo.

Now that the trucker rolled over 200k I wanna begin doing a few upgrades and one is getting this truck off the line a little quicker. The turbo is great up top but I would like a little more response from stop. Since this turbo is pretty low miles, I worked really like to keep it abs install a billet wheel.

My first go to was Danville but they won’t sell their billet wheels to me outright. I could send it in to them for a rebuild but this is my truck I use for work so the down time to ship, build, ship back would be pretty tough. I would like to tackle this over a weekend to have it up and running right away.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a billet wheel to improve this a bit at the bottom end? I tried a few places with no luck.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Give us some more details on the truck. Is it a stock fuel stock injector truck? Built trans? Tuned? The 4094 is a 68mm turbo. It's going to be a little laggy anyways, if you are stock fuel and air I would go to a smaller turbo or look at putting in bigger injectors.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
In my opinion, If your wanting more bottom end save for a better turbo. Injectors arent going to help nearly as much as you would want and spending money on a different wheel for that one is going to leave you disappointed as well in dollars spent vs performance. I would sell that one and go a different route...

Reactions: aaro9991

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
Give us some more details on the truck. Is it a stock fuel stock injector truck? Built trans? Tuned? The 4094 is a 68mm turbo. It's going to be a little laggy anyways, if you are stock fuel and air I would go to a smaller turbo or look at putting in bigger injectors.

It’s currently stock fuel and will be for the near future (at least a year). It has the transgo JR. And efilive from ppei.

Big picture, I’d like to start off big ticket items by building trans before adding power. But if bigger sticks will spoil up quicker at bottom end, what size are you thinking roughly? 30%?

Since the turbo is very low mileage, I’d like to keep it and find a billet wheel if at all possible just to help out a little bit.

I don’t believe the previous owner ever revised the tunes when he installed this turbo either and that might not help either. Only issue is ppei won’t touch this truck with it missing certain parts I’m not willing to put in at this time (because the original motor was destroyed by that part and I don’t want to risk that whatsoever; this is a long term truck for me).

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
This, what converter do you have?

It’s the stock converter, I honestly never thought of that! Maybe bumping stall up a bit would help and would fall in line of the ‘building trans before power’ route im trying to go!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Build the trans and get a converter matched to it. That turbo is inherently lazy but you can make it run good

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
This is good to know. I’ll do my homework for the converter. If everything goes as plan, I’ll have a built trans within a few months. Thanks for all the help guys

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Go with a Limitless 1078 converter. You wont get rid of all the lag because that is the nature of the larger turbo. I have one and it took me a bit to get used to how to drive it. Larger injectors will help also by giving more energy but i think a proper converter and getting the tune updated for the turbo would be the first steps.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
This is good to know. I’ll do my homework for the converter. If everything goes as plan, I’ll have a built trans within a few months. Thanks for all the help guys

A Goerend DK, R, DL, or BF are all great choices for a drop in turbo of that size. Personally I think the R is difficult to beat but the 1078 from SunCoast/Limitless is very close to it in terms them being built for the same usage.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
A Goerend DK, R, DL, or BF are all great choices for a drop in turbo of that size. Personally I think the R is difficult to beat but the 1078 from SunCoast/Limitless is very close to it in terms them being built for the same usage.
I run a R with my 4094/s480 compounds and it's a great converter. I'd recommend it

Reactions: Bdsankey

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
I am by no means as knowledgeable as you guys but I would have never thought of the converter to help that lag off the line. I will check out limitless but I have heard really good things about SDP and their lifetime warranty on a truck below 650hp is really really hard to beat. I am not familiar with the limitless warranty but I’ll check them out too.

With the converter change I’m definitely gonna build the trans. Cry once type of thing for sure

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
Go with a Limitless 1078 converter. You wont get rid of all the lag because that is the nature of the larger turbo. I have one and it took me a bit to get used to how to drive it. Larger injectors will help also by giving more energy but i think a proper converter and getting the tune updated for the turbo would be the first steps.

I’m going to have to do some HW on the tuning side as well. As I said ppei won’t touch my truck so I’m exploring options

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
With a built trans and a max effort tune the turbo will definitely spool better. If you don't like the spool of the turbo after that then consider changing to a smaller turbo. I run a Dan's 66 with stock cp3 and 60 over and it spools almost like stock. I also have a built trans and precision converter. It's a fun DD

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
With a built trans and a max effort tune the turbo will definitely spool better. If you don't like the spool of the turbo after that then consider changing to a smaller turbo. I run a Dan's 66 with stock cp3 and 60 over and it spools almost like stock. I also have a built trans and precision converter. It's a fun DD
The downfall he has is that it is a 4094 frame charger which out of the box are inherently quite lazy and 100% require a tune update to actually run worth a damn.

Reactions: aaro9991

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I am by no means as knowledgeable as you guys but I would have never thought of the converter to help that lag off the line. I will check out limitless but I have heard really good things about SDP and their lifetime warranty on a truck below 650hp is really really hard to beat. I am not familiar with the limitless warranty but I’ll check them out too.

With the converter change I’m definitely gonna build the trans. Cry once type of thing for sure

Scotts a good dude, i doubt youd have issues there. Evan bought Inglewood Transmission from Mike L (use to own Limitless Diesel, hence the limitless 1078 converter being suggested to you). He will have the best kit hands down for a DIY or he can ship you a built trans. if you are closer to Cali than scott, you can go see Evan and/or Mike as well. They are 2 year unlimited mileage and 100% stand behind their product when things fail that were out of anyones control. Ive seen them both do things for customers out side of warranty time that is extremely rare to see anymore.

There is also @JoshH out of Texas who im pretty damn sure is still building bad ass allisons.

Both Evan, Mike and Josh are site sponsors as well.

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
I have not heard of Josh but thank you so much for all the info! With me in Colorado they are all a drive but hey I travel quite a bit for work so I could coordinate something with any one of these guys