Beware of gm remans

nwodiesel

Mar 29, 2014
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Thats the confusing part now. I don't know where specific dealers all source their parts, but everyone always called the Gm ones the "Bosch Remans" direct from Bosch. Now things will be more confusing.

I have not purchased a Bosch LB7 injector, but have Purchased others and they do not come with any GM numbers on the box like the GM LB7 ones do IIRC.

Id say... I spent two months on this and other forums before I bought. I think since its only been two yrs since the change....we'll be seeing failures soon enough.They are still riding the reputation that bosch made for the "GM Remans". Just wait.

How many horror stories u hear of guys having to redo them soon after a 8 pack of injectors. They... the dealer everyone chalks it up to something other than the injector itself. Why would gm want them to get better for the lb7??? so they can sell less of them? I think not imo.... but that's me

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Not sure but LD said they were "identical" to GM's.....but maybe they don't know like u said. Funny how one company's corperate greed and dishonesty cause problems for sincere hardworking guys....just trying make a living.

I wouldn't go that far. Its a rebuilt injector. They aren't required to hold a public hearing every time they switch suppliers. Happens all the time, but since these have a high failure rate people want someone else to blame.

They still fail no matter what, I certainly would not pay double to get a Bosch one over the GM. The way they have been running so far has been great, especially if the switch was over 2 years ago like Bosch claims.

I am curious about the warranty though. I was under the impression they were covered under the 12 month policy regardless of who installed them. All the documentation I find talks about parts warranties when installed by a dealer but that is because they are also covering the labor.

nwodiesel

Mar 29, 2014

nwodiesel

Mar 29, 2014
I wouldn't go that far. Its a rebuilt injector. They aren't required to hold a public hearing every time they switch suppliers. Happens all the time, but since these have a high failure rate people want someone else to blame.

They still fail no matter what, I certainly would not pay double to get a Bosch one over the GM. The way they have been running so far has been great, especially if the switch was over 2 years ago like Bosch claims.

I am curious about the warranty though. I was under the impression they were covered under the 12 month policy regardless of who installed them. All the documentation I find talks about parts warranties when installed by a dealer but that is because they are also covering the labor.

Some of the injectors had no protective plastic caps...some had the oring bag in with the injector some didn't. U know if they cant get that right.... how do trust whats inside. I feel better using the real deal. Maybe Im naïve, but how can an outsource make it good without bosch parts inside?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
youre right but its not bosch running out of cores.....its the substandard buiders gm has replaced bosch with. THEY DONT AND CANNOT HAVE BOSCH INTERNALS. I was told by bosch just today that they will not nor have they ever sold any componenents to their competitors...ie anyone

Food for thought...bosch isn't the only one who can make quality fuel injection components.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Food for thought...bosch isn't the only one who can make quality fuel injection components.

X2. Lots of companies out there that know what they are doing but the new stuff is very sensitive.

Remember, Bosch does make the CP4. They blame all of the OEMs and US fuel but they have enough failures in Europe too. When a CP4 fails it contaminates the rest of the system.

Bosch is so large they are bound to have their failures. Huge conglomerate, can't be the best at everything.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

beanpole209

May 5, 2010
Did bosch develop the original LB7 injector? If so, would they not be responsible for the problem in the first place?

Also, since said information is now disseminated, how will this effect where injectors are purchased by professionals?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

nwodiesel

Mar 29, 2014

I agree that it isn't their duty to inform us as end users..... but I specifically asked before paying if they are genuine bosch remans with the updated bodies and internals..... after a brief pause and a glance between the two guys at the parts counter they said "yes they are" had they said no..... Id have told them to stick them in their parts bin. Maybe I should start a reman facility and tell everyone they are genuine bosch.... Oh wait the fraud police would be at MY door in a second. Hmmmmm..... Im confused

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Did bosch develop the original LB7 injector? If so, would they not be responsible for the problem in the first place?

Also, since said information is now disseminated, how will this effect where injectors are purchased by professionals?

I believe so!

nwodiesel

Mar 29, 2014

Well if I was a shop owner who had to go good for the labor when the part goes bad....not to mention the reputation and rumours that go along with a failed repair, either due to parts or the install, Id say no....nor would I recommend them. Just in case. You have to ask yourself how they can be better, without ANY bosch internals. The ball/seat must be made of only the best materials, and I doubt highly a reman facility ran either directly or indirectly by GM has a choice. Outsourcing has made the entire world unreliable. Creates finger pointing and and no accountability, which promotes poor quality, cost saving BS. Plus if Their" guys are so good.....Whats the big secret then. Lets see a website with some info about them.... maybe afew pics of the "state of the art" equipment. Any worthy shop/reman facility has an "ABOUT US" link on their website to re-assure the customer. GM said they don't know who rebuilds them. Comforting

Last edited:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I'm not sure the point of all this? Who cares who makes them, they're either good or not. Bosch has proven to fail building injectors lots of times, what makes anyone think the company building them now isn't doing at least as well as Bosch. I'm not suggesting I know one way or another, but until we see problems we don't have any reason to be concerned. Now I completely agree that if Bosch isn't rebuilding them and dealers are selling them as Bosch remans then that's definitely unethical, but that in no way proves that the new manufacturer isn't doing a good job.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Since Vinny put up a few pics ill chip in too with a pic of the ones I got from Merchant Auto(thank you Steve@SSDieselTunig for another great deal).

nwodiesel

Mar 29, 2014

But if I was Bosch .. from their point of view, when GM stopped having them rebuild the millions of injectors that rotate thru the cycle, along with the tens of millions of dollars that went along with it by a builder that u know isn't as good.......Id want to make an injector that far surpasses it, that eventually will show and prove its better. Lets face it, these trucks aren't going anywhere except to the new owner. They'll be around for a while. Besides I personally feel its the crappy filtration that GM puts on those engines. I was told by a tech from Bosch that since the inception of the Dmax mill...... Bosch recommended strenuously that the CRD system needs a 2 Micron filtration in place. Had GM done so.......itd been better for sure..... but then GM's multi million dollar injector business wouldn't have done so good

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Read the white slip of paper that comes with every set of GM remans for the last 2 years....

I've probably installed 30+ gm sets in the last 2 years, had 2 injectors fail on the same truck with 14 months run time on it. It wasn't a ball and seat failure, that I know of, the 2 injectors were cracked, hanging open, or had a serious delay in start of injection. Would knock under load at first, the knock and smoke black all the time. It was a small farmer who ran RED fuel from his own barrel on the farm. He said he changed his barrel filters in the fall every year.... I asked him if he ever checked or drained off water from the barrel, he had no clue why he needed to do that. Dipped tank with white paste on stick, had water in it. He's ran yellow station fuel for over a year now and says his truck has never gotten this good of fuel mileage since he drove it home...

I have a recent customer who's LMM won't hold rail pressure in any 100+ hp tune with only 102,000 miles on it. Come to find out he used to run homemade vegetable oil/biodiesel in it for the better part or 2 years.

nwodiesel

Mar 29, 2014
I'm not sure the point of all this? Who cares who makes them, they're either good or not. Bosch has proven to fail building injectors lots of times, what makes anyone think the company building them now isn't doing at least as well as Bosch. I'm not suggesting I know one way or another, but until we see problems we don't have any reason to be concerned. Now I completely agree that if Bosch isn't rebuilding them and dealers are selling them as Bosch remans then that's definitely unethical, but that in no way proves that the new manufacturer isn't doing a good job.

I agree that they may or may not be good..... but Im not being a real world beta tester... not on my dime. By the time I need a next set.... and those have been in use for longer than a couple yrs maybe Ill buy...but until then Ill go with the odds. The bosch ones last as long as the originals if the job is done correctly. By correctly I mean meticulous. New hard lines.... rubber hoses... tank flush....Supply Line flush and a minimum 2 micron filter system And water trap when done...... no CAT filter only like some guys. Dirt/rust particulate and water are the cause of the majorority of the failures IMO

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Since Vinny put up a few pics ill chip in too with a pic of the ones I got from Merchant Auto(thank you Steve@SSDieselTunig for another great deal).

Are those supposed to be Bosch or GM remans?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I agree that they may or may not be good..... but Im not being a real world beta tester... not on my dime. By the time I need a next set.... and those have been in use for longer than a couple yrs maybe Ill buy...but until then Ill go with the odds. The bosch ones last as long as the originals if the job is done correctly. By correctly I mean meticulous. New hard lines.... rubber hoses... tank flush....Supply Line flush and a minimum 2 micron filter system And water trap when done...... no CAT filter only like some guys. Dirt/rust particulate and water are the cause of the majorority of the failures IMO

Didn't replace anything on my cousins lb7 when we did his injectors almost 2 years ago. Runs factory fuel filter setup as well. Didn't flush the tank, didn't get new hard lines or fuel lines...same return lines as well. Will be 2 years this july with zero issues. Never runs additive either.

I think people point the blame at insufficient filtration way to much. If that was the case, why don't lly's, lbz's and lmm's have injector issues like lb7's do? I think the failures are simply a hard parts material design flaw.