Best Highway Tire?

Texas Wallbanger

TEXAS WORK TRUCK
Aug 12, 2013
TEXAS
This truck has seen many so far and the ones I've liked the best are GoodYear Silent Armor.

I'm not pulling heavy trailers anymore though. I just need the hardest highway tire with the deepest tread I can find with a low rolling resistance.

Who on this site is the expert? Tires make a huge difference in my bottom line. I drive 3000-4000 miles a week or better!

I only need a highway tire for all six.

The specs on the Bridge stone Darvius 500 seem like a good fit for me. The good year I have now lowered my mpg with all their tread.

If I get the Darvius I'd have to increase my tire size as my truck stock has 225-75-17 and the closest they have is 235-80-17

Last edited:

Texas Wallbanger

TEXAS WORK TRUCK
Aug 12, 2013
TEXAS
Thanks Ryan but I had a set on for 12 hours loaded the trailer and they squatted so bad they touched! I don't recall what kind of nitto they were though. Maybe they make some that are harder?
Even though I'm not pushing the weight limits anymore I've got to have a hard tire.

Attachments

• 3trucks.jpg
    3trucks.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 4cars.jpg
    4cars.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 33

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
sounds like you would be a good candidate for a 19.5 swap, rock hard Michelin tires would last forever and roll easy.

and the reason you dropped a little mileage with the michelin silent armor is because they sacrafice slight mileage for comfort and longevity, i got a set of michelin's on my old 96 dually to go 80k with a camper or trailer or both on half the time.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
E-rated, smallest tire that fits, with Highway pattern and high durometer (hard rubber).

The lower your truck is, the less wind resistance. The high pressure reduces rolling resistance as does the narrow footprints.

But they would suck in the snow or sand.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
The TOYO open country HT comes to mind, they are ultra quiet, low rolling resistance, 60k guarantee, made for 1 ton/work trucks.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Michelin's will be the longest wearing. LTX M&S2 should be better than the LTX AT2's at wear I would think. The LTX AT2s wear like iron though anyways. Got 50k out of them on our 2011 Dmax. Hated the traction in snow though, terrible. Now we run snow tires in the winter though so that doesn't matter. We put a set of Dueler 695 ATs on it for this summer as we have had good wear and traction with them in the past. They were gone in less than 30k, but that's about all we get out of the other trucks. This truck sits on big trailers alot (34' flatbed, 31' cattle trailer) and the power from the LML doesn't help tire life. We're actually going to go back to the Michelins simply for the wear. They are slightly cheaper than the 695s and wear twice as long. Traction is worse but thats why we run snow tires in the winter. Nothing gets good traction in the winter compared to what snow tires will give you. We actually get decent wear out of them too.

Michelin has been great to deal with from my experiences. We run them on everything, tractors, semis, skid steers, you name it. They always have the longest wear and also have the best traction and ride comfort. They do have their downsides though, the upfront cost is big, and some people don't care for the thinner sidewalls they have on the tractor tires but that thinner sidewall is what gives them the nice ride on the road and allows them to flex in the field.

Firestone transforce seem to be the choice around Minnesota for commercial pulling with a pickup.

The HT's are okay for wear, but the AT's suck. Firestones are a middle of the road brand generally. Bridgestone is the premium line, kind of like BFGoodrich and Michelin. Michelin has all of the latest and greatest tech, BFG does not. However that doesn't mean they don't make a great tire, it just wont have the best mix of everything.

With tires you have fuel efficiency, treadlife, wet traction, cold weather performance, cornering performance, load performance, mud traction,noise, ride comfort, etc etc.

With every advantage you engineer into the tire, you loose performance in other areas. Lately OEM's have been just simply trying to make tires that can be advantageous without as many side effects. Thats what I mean when I say latest and greatest tech. Many OEM's make a tire that wears great, or a tire that gets good grip, but its finding the right balance that takes time and money.

michelin is best, or a G rated tire 12 ply if you can find one

x2 Michelin's wear like iron.

sounds like you would be a good candidate for a 19.5 swap, rock hard Michelin tires would last forever and roll easy.

and the reason you dropped a little mileage with the michelin silent armor is because they sacrafice slight mileage for comfort and longevity, i got a set of michelin's on my old 96 dually to go 80k with a camper or trailer or both on half the time.

A conversion to 19.5's would allow him to get into commercial tires that will last 100,000-250,000 miles. Traction will be poorer and ride will be stiffer, but if ultimate wear is what he is after they would be the way to go. Be prepared for the price though, you wont touch any decent ones for less than $300 much less $400. If you want Michelin's set up an advantage account as an owner operator and you will get a decent discount.

Texas Wallbanger

TEXAS WORK TRUCK
Aug 12, 2013
TEXAS
All good suggestions, thanks. I do have a commercial account that I can get a discount with the Mich's.

I've given thought to the 19.5 but the higher ride height kinda kills that the better grade tire and longer wear, thread depth would be nice and might win out but not quite yet. I just don't haul weight now. Today I delivered, a usual load, aviation fuel samples...maybe 10 lbs. I really could do much of what Indo with a Prius. They loads are "get there yesterday" kinda thing so I get what the guys do with a 40 ft. Flatbed behind them. Sometimes I really have to test the rubber to get it there.

I had great experience with the Mich's in Class 8 rigs but also did rather well with cheap ass tires a few times!

I do appreciate the real world experience with certain tires and that is exactly what I wanted.

With my pick up I've always thrown em on chewed em up and thrown em away! This last set of Good Year Silent Armor thought are actually a quality set of rubber that held weight that I couldn't believe. Now I'm looking for the same thing in a highway tread, as sadly this truck never sees anything but the highway.....I've indeed got a Ford for the farm work.

Again thank you all.

Last edited:

06_6.6

Haulin Assphalt
Sep 3, 2012
Indian Territory
I just got a set of michelin ltx m&s2, and from what i hear they're good for over 69k with rotations and such. Have also taken them on pretty slick jobsites with good sized mudholes and never had to engage 4x4. Not bad for mostly highway tire imo.

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes