best cold air intake?

gunsmoke

Dec 30, 2015
I bought a 2007 Duramax 6.6 LBZ
what is the best cold air intake system for fuel economy?
I was looking at the Banks with the super scoop with the 6 gun?
any suggestions.
been told the SB is good too?

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
if you're hell bent on throwing away money on an intake for what i assume is a stock truck....go with the S&B, best bang for your buck. instead of buying an intake spend a couple more bucks and buy a 4" down pipe back exhaust. the exhaust will make a much more noticeable difference. Some of the best in the busyness EFI live tuners are vendors here, get ahold of them. EFI is the best way to go.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I bought a 2007 Duramax 6.6 LBZ
what is the best cold air intake system for fuel economy?
I was looking at the Banks with the super scoop with the 6 gun?
any suggestions.
been told the SB is good too?

Look up the "PPE air intake mod"
Which is basically a how to instructional guide to tear apart your stock airbox to flow enough air for 500+ hp

The stock Donaldson air filter is legit

I have the banks intake with super scoop, yes, I was hell bent on spending my money, but only after EFI, gauges, aa built trans and a turbo upgrade ;)

I rocked the modified stock airbox for a while, can't say I noticed a difference between the two...but I wanna say I can tell when the scoop is off the banks intake...probably placebo effect

As far as MPG is concerned, getting EFI and a turbo back exhaust system will net you the best gains as long as your driving for it. An Intake is more eye candy than anything else, and you gotta be real careful about the filter you get, they're not all better than stock, in fact very few are

I will be putting a dry sock around my filter this year to try and further eliminate micro contaminants from the intake tract, the last time I had the turbo intake horn off there was a very slight and very fine layer of dust in there I was not happy to see :mad:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Jason, I have to disagree with the PPE mod and destroy a perfectly good intake, why not enlarge the hole at the fenderwell. The two holes at the factory are not enough IMHO after I did mine and the turbo did feel a a bit more responsive...:thumb:

If I were to purchase an intake Volant would be my choice with the Donaldson PowerCore dry filter, check out the ratings on them, they have one for the S&B intake housing

99.97% 1:10 in the video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyoSx3WfXZ8
=
2gsn4ht.jpg

=
=
=
=

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I also opened up the hole in the fender in one for somebody else and noticed a considerable difference in how much the filter minder pulled in. Stock it pulled down almost to the red, modified it didn't move at all. This was on a 04.5 GMC that got upgraded to a lbz intake.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
FWIW I have an 05 LLY as well with a full LBZ intake. I opened up the side of the fender well just as mentioned above.

Quick question though, does the blue donaldson filter in that video linked by C20 fit the stock LBZ intake?

I'm fairly certain i need to buy a new filter lol

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Jason, I have to disagree with the PPE mod and destroy a perfectly good intake, why not enlarge the hole at the fenderwell. The two holes at the factory are not enough IMHO after I did mine and the turbo did feel a a bit more responsive...:thumb:

If I were to purchase an intake Volant would be my choice with the Donaldson PowerCore dry filter, check out the ratings on them, they have one for the S&B intake housing

99.97% 1:10 in the video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyoSx3WfXZ8
=
2gsn4ht.jpg

=
=
=
=

Lol
That's a real good option Mike, I've actually done that on a few different rigs over the years ;)

And I hear ya about "destroying" the stock intake...but you can't deny the airflow it allows for and that you're basically getting a performance intake for free! And I don't think of it as "destroying" the intake, rather Im making it more efficient:thumb:

I've never been good at storing stock parts, returning things to stock when I sell them or even selling used parts...so the PPE intake mod is right up my alley, didn't even think twice about it

I'm more of a rip it apart and throw it away, kinda guy...within reason:cool2:

testdrive

May 28, 2013
All of these are good posts. Number 7 is a must do and all you need to do, unless you get a warm feeling from spending money for nothing. I found the same as fermanator found. Wide open it would set the filter minder in the red as if the media was stopped up. After opening it up, no more problem.
As far as fuel mileage increase, you are looking in the wrong place. In reality you already have a cold air system.

Dura-anon

Jan 1, 2016
USA
I've had and been happy with the volant CAI for some time, recently got the ram air scoop for xmas. I did have to do a little trimming to the bumper in order to fully expose the scoop to the airflow, but I feel like there is a small but noticeable power difference once you hit the 40mph or so necessary for any kind of ram air effect to occur.

Cant say for sure if it is the colder air charge being pushed in from the scoop or if I am actually getting a positive pressure effect, but I would certainly recommend this setup to a friend. Guess I could do some simple logging at some point and see what the IAT is looking like with the scoop on or off. If you are going to spend the money, make sure you get something with a ram air scoop, I hear good things about the banks system too, but no personal experience,