Battery Warmer Thoughts?

Lt. DMAX

Nov 4, 2016
Southern Tier of NY
I seem to have to replace both batteries every second winter religiously. When it gets cold I do use the block heater when I can (home or work).

What are your thoughts on adding Battery Heaters to get more crank out of them? Will this help extend their life?

I have been using Duracell brand from Sams Club (cant recall who makes it and badges it) as its the cheapest battery I could find AND I have taken advantage of their warranties for replacement multiple times. Its just a hassle to deal with the hard starts then the buying of new batteries to bring back the old/bad ones for a refund under the warranty.

fc8464

Jun 26, 2012
Fairbanks, Alaska
I am not a fan of battery heaters. over time they tend to short out and trip the breaker and then you come out to start your rig and its a no go. The trickle chargers or battery tenders do much better. I personally don't use either and have no problems and it gets cold here for extended periods ( minus 40 below or colder). Also my truck lives out side. Quality batteries are worth the investiment ( I like the Optimas). Fred

fc8464

Jun 26, 2012
Fairbanks, Alaska
I was born and raised in Butler, Pa, and have made several trips back for Christmas when my parents where there. I will take the 40 below to your cold humid winters any day. LOL

Lt. DMAX

Nov 4, 2016
Southern Tier of NY
I believe I looked at the Optimas, but did not find one that was sized / configured for the DMAX application. So what model are you using? Did you have to jerry rig a way to secure the battery?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Have you checked for parasitic draw?

Duracell (and cat) is made by east penn (deka) and is a solid battery. Better than that optima crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc8464

Jun 26, 2012
Fairbanks, Alaska
bluepixel.gif
NAPA Gaffney Rd
304 GAFFNEY RD.
Ask About Our September Commodity Sale!
bluepixel.gif

Shopping Cart
VIEW

bluepixel.gif

ITEMQTYPRICE
bluepixel.gif

Estimate
VIEW

bluepixel.gif

ITEMQTYPRICE
bluepixel.gif

Battery - Optima
Back to Results
bluepixel.gif

NWM

Front

Part: BAT N993478REDProduct Line: NAPA Batteries
List Price
Core List Price
Your Cost
Unit
:
:
:
:
Each

Qty Available: 0.00
findit.jpg

Qty
cart.gif
estimate4.gif
Features & Benefits Nonspillable Battery.; Can Be Shipped By Air.; Designed For High Power Engine Starting Applications.
Features and Benefits PDF
Attributes Battery Application: Automotive
Battery BCI #: Group 34/78
Battery Cold Cranking Amps @ 0 Degrees F: 800 CCA
Battery Cranking Amps @ 32 Degrees F: 1000
Battery Posts Type: Top
Battery Reserve Capacity (Minutes): 100 min
Battery Voltage: 12 Volts
Battery Weight: 41 lbs
Height: 7 7/8 in.
Length: 10 1/16 in.
UNSPSC: 25191806
Wet or Dry: Wet
Width: 6 7/8 in.
Warranty 36 Months
Warranty PDF Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) Sealed Lead Acid Non Spillable Battery Application Information: 2006 GMC Truck Sierra 3500 1 Ton - Pickup Engines : 6.6 L 403 CID V8 Diesel
Comments: Two batteries required. For

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Optama's have been sold out to another manufacture and are no longer what they used to be. I would pick another good group 48 battery as mentioned above and use a battery tender

Last edited: