Battery maintainer

jzumi

Nov 3, 2020
I did do a quick search but didn't find anything on this. Sorry if it's already been covered...

2 questions:

If I need to jump start my '03 Silverado does it matter which of the two batteries the jumper cable goes to?

Also, now that the truck sits for long periods of time, what is the recommendation for a battery maintainer or maintainers? Do I need to connect both batteries; that is do I need a two bank device or two separate devices? Any recommendations?

Thanks for any advice!
John

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
If my truck is going to sit for a extended periods I put a maintainer on each battery and disconnect the passenger side terminals. To me it allows a good maintainer (I use a NoCo Genius multi-bank) to desulphate the batteries (if using wet-cell) and also keep them in tip-top shape. That said, I've seen many people run one single maintainer and have zero issues.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The batteries are connected in parallel so either battery will do. I use the diver side battery for convenience

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I agree one should do it, but even with a maintainer I still can’t get more then 2 years out of a battery though.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to Fluids/Maintenance section.

Thanks for reminding me....Ive got to buy one of these for the Vette.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I unhook the batteries on my truck and let it sit for the winter. Most of the time. It clicks right off come spring. No charger. Batteries are from 2016.

Grizz3500

May 28, 2011
Hauser, Idaho
I've had fantastic performance from CTEK maintainers. Use them on everything. Have a MUS 4.3 and MULTI US 7002. My truck sits all winter. Replaced the original batteries this year, one was starting to fail

firestopper

Nov 27, 2020
I installed jump point to the nose of the bumper. I machined delrin isolators and have a kill switch accessible without lifting the hood. The positive cable runs to the Red junction box the Negative cable runs to the block. Prior to the modification I only used the junction box (+) for jumping and the large strap marked (-) for ground.
A quality heavy fine strand set of jumpers (21') were also modified on one end using male connectors sold by Miller (welding).
10A3EE79-40D7-4FEA-B126-B79CB2C1B669.jpeg
I also used this design on the bumper I built for my 40 Land Cruiser.
3FF2CD73-D065-46FF-89B8-BBBB99739EE2.jpeg
I run AGM batteries in all my rigs and get 6-7 years of reliable service. I also keep Battery Tenders on all rigs when not in use.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I installed jump point to the nose of the bumper. I machined delrin isolators and have a kill switch accessible without lifting the hood. The positive cable runs to the Red junction box the Negative cable runs to the block. Prior to the modification I only used the junction box (+) for jumping and the large strap marked (-) for ground.
A quality heavy fine strand set of jumpers (21') were also modified on one end using male connectors sold by Miller (welding).
View attachment 105001
I also used this design on the bumper I built for my 40 Land Cruiser.
View attachment 105002
I run AGM batteries in all my rigs and get 6-7 years of reliable service. I also keep Battery Tenders on all rigs when not in use.

I did mine similar to yours but have them in the bed. Also made a 21' set of jumpers that split in half using the welding connectors. I put it in the back because it gives me two points to jump from incase I'm nose in a parking space with no access to each side. I've also used it with my charger to keep the batteries topped off

Reactions: firestopper