LBZ: Banks Speed Brake

sqdd51

Bad Ass Duamax
Nov 7, 2007
Palmdale CA.
Just changed over from EDGE Evolution Tuner and ATS CO PILOT a great combo to a Banks 6gun and a Banks Speed Brake. Six Gun is good and has alot more tune ability than I thought, (Better know how a engine works before you start messing with fuel and ignition timming) great tunability you cn get crazy with it if you get the speed loader option.
ATS Co Pilot is probably the greatest trans programer ever but redundant for the Banks Speed Brake.
I'm having an issue with the Sped Brake right now as it won't let me mannual shift the Allison, Banks said they havent had this issue before but with all new products theres always a bug ME! Lets see what Banks comes up with.
And YES the Speed Brake does work!!!! Don't set it on high with an empty load it WILL LOCK UP YOUR REAR END!!!!!!
I have done alot of cheap or free HP tricks to my duramax like EGR blocker and PCV rerout if any body is interested I will post pic's let me know

Last edited:

D-Max

2006 Chevy 2500HD LT-3 4X
Jan 20, 2009
Wyo.
HI ............. Newbe here:D I'm thinking about buying the "Banks SpeedBrake"
What can you tell me about it?? good or bad !! Thanks....

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
Just changed over from EDGE Evolution Tuner and ATS CO PILOT a great combo to a Banks 6gun and a Banks Speed Brake. Six Gun is good and has alot more tune ability than I thought, (Better know how a engine works before you start messing with fuel and ignition timming) great tunability you cn get crazy with it if you get the speed loader option.
ATS Co Pilot is probably the greatest trans programer ever but redundant for the Banks Speed Brake.
I'm having an issue with the Sped Brake right now as it won't let me mannual shift the Allison, Banks said they havent had this issue before but with all new products theres always a bug ME! Lets see what Banks comes up with.
And YES the Speed Brake does work!!!! Don't set it on high with an empty load it WILL LOCK UP YOUR REAR END!!!!!!
I have done alot of cheap or free HP tricks to my duramax like EGR blocker and PCV rerout if any body is interested I will post pic's let me know

you're the 3rd person i've heard say they have had that same problem w/ the manual shifter.

sqdd51

Bad Ass Duamax
Nov 7, 2007
Palmdale CA.
HI ............. Newbe here:D I'm thinking about buying the "Banks SpeedBrake"
What can you tell me about it?? good or bad !! Thanks....

The speed Brake works good I haven't pullled my 18K trailer yet but works great on low setting and speed selet espesally coming down the canyon. The only issue Im having is I could not manual shift.I contacted Banks and they replaced the modual and wire harness they found a problem with the modual but can't figure the cause of it. The new modual now lets me up shift but I still can't down shift. Jeff at Banks tech. has been real helpful and we are still working on getting this bug taken care of once fixed the Speed Brake is going to be The Hot Ticket. Has anyone else had an issue with this yet?

sqdd51

Bad Ass Duamax
Nov 7, 2007
Palmdale CA.
The speed Brake works good I haven't pullled my 18K trailer yet but works great on low setting and speed selet espesally coming down the canyon. The only issue Im having is I could not manual shift.I contacted Banks and they replaced the modual and wire harness they found a problem with the modual but can't figure the cause of it. The new modual now lets me up shift but I still can't down shift. Jeff at Banks tech. has been real helpful and we are still working on getting this bug taken care of once fixed the Speed Brake is going to be The Hot Ticket. Has anyone else had an issue with this yet?

Sorry about the spelling thats what happens when you post using your cell phone while riding the Metro!!

sqdd51

Bad Ass Duamax
Nov 7, 2007
Palmdale CA.
Banks has found a tentative problem, seems there is a power spike occuring duing key on. They are sending me another new moduel and a wire harness that they have added a filter to to try and prevent this occurance I'll keep you posted.:rolleyes:

sqdd51

Bad Ass Duamax
Nov 7, 2007
Palmdale CA.
Sorry it took so long to get back. Banks replaced the module an put a filter in the wire harness every thing seems to be working well, I'm going to pull that 18K trailer this weekend providing the weather holds up, and put it to the test!:rofl:

sqdd51

Bad Ass Duamax
Nov 7, 2007
Palmdale CA.
Finally Dialed In

After working the bugs out of this Speed Brake with Banks over the past Months everything seems to be dialed in. Made a run with my 18K trailer down I-5 (Grapevine 6% Grade) set brake for 55mph and never touched the throttle or brake down the entire hill AMAZING this thing works great. I drive the canyons and set it on low and works great for corner braking its saving the brake pads. Only down fall is it plugs into your OBD2CAN port and you wont be able to use a tunner that needs this port to work except for the Banks 6 Gun. Programer should be no problem as I run an Edge Evolution tow program and remove the programer from the OBD2CAN port and use the Speed Brake and 6 Gun on top of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:spit:

porthole

May 3, 2009
The only part I haven't changed yet for my speed brake is the jumper harness the goes to the OBD connector and PDA.

I have a problem with the trans going into neutral and getting a "range shift inhibited" message.

Sometimes it feels as though the trans is trying to go into two gears at once it bangs so bad.