Banks D866T

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015

I searched and it looks like this hasn't been talked about here.

I know some aren't the biggest fans of Banks, and that starting $ range is out of my budget currently, but I'm curious about emissions and the controls.

It doesn't look like there is a EGR riser or vacuum pump, but it also appears to be based off the L5P and I'm not familiar with them and the emissions locations.

With the Automind EDC, could you theoretically just drop this into a Federal LB7 and have an emissions free L5P powered truck?

Anyone have any other thoughts on this thing?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I don't know ANY of this to be factual, but I had heard the current versions are L5P long blocks, but converted over to use an E35B ECM(LMM tuning), and LMM turbo.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I can't really picture a use case for it at that price range. It's great that it's brand new, but if you were building a "race" or performance truck out of it, why would you pay that much for a stock bottom end? And if you're building a motor from scratch, is a used block that's been properly prepped for a rebuild really all that different than brand new? For $30k I'm assuming you could build a motor with everything brand new other than the block.

And say you just had money burning a hole in your pocket and wanted to replace an existing motor with it, there's only a 90 day warranty so why go $30k and again... not rebuild yourself?

I could potentially see a justification for it it was warrantied to 100k miles or something.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thats hard to justify when a 550hp LSA from gm with full computer, harness, 6l90 and converter is 20k out the door. including 3 year 36k mile warranty.

and @fl0w3n, i would bet Banks hp is based off high duty cycle and other factors. im not saying their stuff is 1000hp capable but usually their hp ratings for engines are posted under extreme circumstances. is it worth the 40k? thats to be determined.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I can't really picture a use case for it at that price range. It's great that it's brand new, but if you were building a "race" or performance truck out of it, why would you pay that much for a stock bottom end? And if you're building a motor from scratch, is a used block that's been properly prepped for a rebuild really all that different than brand new? For $30k I'm assuming you could build a motor with everything brand new other than the block.

And say you just had money burning a hole in your pocket and wanted to replace an existing motor with it, there's only a 90 day warranty so why go $30k and again... not rebuild yourself?

I could potentially see a justification for it it was warrantied to 100k miles or something.
You're thinking individual consumer, I believe this item is more targeted towards the military and government(ours AND other's). You know, those who don't care what it cost's, it's only taxpayers money, so it's free for them.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
thats hard to justify when a 550hp LSA from gm with full computer, harness, 6l90 and converter is 20k out the door. including 3 year 36k mile warranty.

and @fl0w3n, i would bet Banks hp is based off high duty cycle and other factors. im not saying their stuff is 1000hp capable but usually their hp ratings for engines are posted under extreme circumstances. is it worth the 40k? thats to be determined.
That’s true, Gale has trash talked marketing power numbers based off a single several second dyno pull, or something to that extent. So I would imagine these numbers have high durability behind them.
still, if that’s the case I would think the warranty would be better than basically what a junkyard offers on a take out motor.
You're thinking individual consumer, I believe this item is more targeted towards the military and government(ours AND other's). You know, those who don't care what it cost's, it's only taxpayers money, so it's free for them.
True, I know he already won the contract for the JLTV a few years back and supplies them, but the new C20 truck that they’re building, Lokjaw, is meant to debut the crate engine program similar to the R2.8

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how/if it’s adopted.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I’ve said this before, but I have zero respect for Gale. Sure, in the early days he may have been a pioneer but since he’s nothing but an EPA kiss ass that had more than likely been a large culprit in the end of the diesel performance industry. I’m sure this engine is nothing special compared to some of the engines that Guy and others have put ltogether for a fraction of the price. You simply can not choke an Diesel engine with emissions equipment and expect us to believe it will perform better (or even as well as) nor will it outlast a non emissions truck in the same power levels. That is not how a diesel works by design. Also, for that price, if it is aimed towards a military application, it’s just an overpriced crate engine aimed at sucking our tax dollars and make the EPA happy to line his pockets. I see nothing that sets this aside from an altered stock crate engine in the description. No mention of stronger internals and the only “upgrades” I see are his bolt on mods and transmissions.