Banana Pan

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Youd guys hate me.. I change my oil every 500 miles.

I do actually hate you just a little bit... but I guess you're forgiven since petro Canada is raking it in and they're a decent company:spit: Truth is you might be doing more harm than good changing it that often. Sometimes the ISO particle count in the wear metal causing range is higher straight out of the bottle than used oil after a couple hundred miles with a solid filter. I understand some people can't make it that far without trying to get a peek at how things are going in there though...

@WorkingTruck You can go way longer with T6... at least run out to 0% on the oil life monitor. I understand it feels wrong, but I promise its ok. If you want to do right by your motor you may see more benefit to changing oil less and putting the savings to a sweet filter like a Mobil 1 303. The 17micron single pass rating beats the pants off of most filters out there and may make a statistically significant difference in your wear metal levels.

Switching around oil brands with very different additive packages can actually cause a spike in wear metals as well... its a strange phenomenon whereby engines become accustomed to whatever anti wear packages you feed them, and they may not like a sudden change from a molybdenum heavy oil like Delo to a low or no moly oil like T6 or AMSOil.

Also in my professional opinion Schaeffer's rules, and no I'm not a dealer and get no discount.:thumb:

timowen1

Jun 8, 2010
Nice looking oil pan. It has cooling fins, short ones but it has them. Probably would not buy one. If you wanted, and it would be cheaper, chase a couple quarts of clean oil through to mix and flush remaining dirty oil. The Dmax holds 10 quarts if you buy 3 gallons that gives you 2 extra to use for flush. I just sold my 2006 LBZ with 200K miles that got is oil changed every 10K miles wether it needed it or not. Never had one oil related problem. Actually never had one engine related problem. I only sold it because I can buy GM discount and got $11,250 discounted on a 2014 Dmax with GM discount,rebates and all other incentives available.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Does anyone think the cooling fins would actually help any?

Also does anyone remember the thread on dieselplace a couple years back about the guy who went 50k+ on the same oil? How far did he actually go before changing? Did his motor blow?

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Does anyone think the cooling fins would actually help any?

Also does anyone remember the thread on dieselplace a couple years back about the guy who went 50k+ on the same oil? How far did he actually go before changing? Did his motor blow?

When you look up the differential equations for heat transfer into a fin and heat dissipation out of a fin... Basically the short fat fins are worthless. There's a good reason anything air cooled has tightly packed tall thin fins with a forced air flow through them.

Lots of guys go in the 20k mile range with standard rotella T6 and mobil filter or equivalent setup and still get in the 1-2 ppm iron per mile wear metal range on analysis. No fancy setup, no nothing. The dmax has a great oil system, especially the LMLs.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I think the fins would make the differance. For keepin the oil cool.

I put a mag-hytec pan on my transmission that has fins, and I didn't notice any difference in cooling. It runs the same temp as my other truck that has a stock pan.

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA
I put a mag-hytec pan on my transmission that has fins, and I didn't notice any difference in cooling. It runs the same temp as my other truck that has a stock pan.

Mag-Hytec is pretty much hype when it comes to that. There are no cooling fins on the inside of the Allison trans pan. The cooling fins on the outside of a MH pan are 3/8" deep. The PPE deep trans pan for the Allison trans has 1 1/4" tall cooling fins on the inside of the pan and 3/4" deep cooling fins on the outside. My high temp on my 05 dropped by 35 degrees using the PPE pan. I will always make a customer aware of this if they are looking to buy a MH or the Allison stamped steel pan. I can get the customer the PPE pan for less than the MH pan and the MH doesn't come with the deep filter like the PPE does. One more point on the PPE pan you do not need the deep filter lock with a PPE pan but we recommend it with a MH or an Allison stamped steel pan. So the PPE is cheaper than a MH pan, comes with a deep filter and no need for the filter lock, the PPE pan saves you 56.00 in extras, cools better and costs less than a MH win win win for you guys that want to do a trans pan.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut

Do you have a separate temp gauge in the transmission pan sump? Anyway you are right you wont see any drop in operating temp with the Mag Hytec pan,for the most part. Most will see a 20 degree drop in temps in operating temps verses sump temperature. This temperature change is credited to the cooler not the pan.

When the pan comes into temp change is actual heat soak. It will shed heat quicker then a stock steel pan. Problem is you really don't notice it as every thing is heat saturated when the vehicle is up to full operating temp. The only time you can notice it is when the vehicle is parked then you can see the difference in sump temp and operating temp is greater then the normal 20 degree drop as the pan does shed the heat quicker.

That s what I have witnessed nonetheless your mileage may vary!