Axle Dump

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have a 5" exhaust that I cut right behind the last hanger behind the rear axle. I don't think it drones at all. It does have a muffler, but it's just a straight through muffler with a perforated core, no baffles or anything.

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
I have a 5" exhaust that I cut right behind the last hanger behind the rear axle. I don't think it drones at all. It does have a muffler, but it's just a straight through muffler with a perforated core, no baffles or anything.

Are you using the last hanger? or just the one right before the rear axle?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ive ran an exhaust dump just behind the cab since 07. with a single turbo and 5" silverline muffler, it droned and was loud in the cab but back then i didnt care. fast forward a few years and the noise was getting on my nerves but didnt want a full exhaust. HP bug had bit me at this point too and i put a twin kit on. quieted the truck right up and has next to no drone in it.

Now in the last year or two, the little bit of drone it has has been bugging me. might be because ive ridden in the new trucks that are whisper quite compared to even a stock version of my truck. it may get a full exhaust at some point but ill have to put a spare tire gate on the tail gate as it wont fit past my 37" spare under the bed right now.

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
Yeah I can imagine the 37' making things a wee bit more diffcult.. :rofl:

I have heard good things about the FTE resonator so if it's too noisy Ill slap one of those on

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
ive ran an exhaust dump just behind the cab since 07. with a single turbo and 5" silverline muffler, it droned and was loud in the cab but back then i didnt care. fast forward a few years and the noise was getting on my nerves but didnt want a full exhaust. HP bug had bit me at this point too and i put a twin kit on. quieted the truck right up and has next to no drone in it.

Now in the last year or two, the little bit of drone it has has been bugging me. might be because ive ridden in the new trucks that are whisper quite compared to even a stock version of my truck. it may get a full exhaust at some point but ill have to put a spare tire gate on the tail gate as it wont fit past my 37" spare under the bed right now.

First, tires, now drone?? You are getting old:rofl:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Are you using the last hanger? or just the one right before the rear axle?

The last hanger.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4824.jpg
    IMG_4824.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 136

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
Hmm I wouldn't have thought of that. I was able to get mine done up tonight, I'll post some pictures in the AM

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

LB7s always seem to be the "loudest" stock Dmax, at least IMO. Those newer ones sound like a gas truck, they're so quiet.

You fit a 37" spare tire under your truck?!? How?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
LB7s always seem to be the "loudest" stock Dmax, at least IMO. Those newer ones sound like a gas truck, they're so quiet.

You fit a 37" spare tire under your truck?!? How?

Not having a variable vane makes them loud when straight piped or like I have my exhaust with a single turbo. Now it's no louder then steves lly or Levi's lbz. The new cabs are just awesome with that triple seal door setup and cab sound deadening. Some point I'll sound deaden my cab and see if I can get some better door seals. Doing the lly top end swap really quieted down the engine

Yup, being a long bed I have more room between the diff and rear bumper. I even have a mag tech diff cover. I have to use a ratechet strap and pull the tire back to the hitch before cranking it up tight to clear the diff cover. If I had a stock cover I could just pull it up straight to the bed.

It's about as big as you can go. A 38" tire might fit but a 39 won't

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
Semi-end result. I think the spots where I tack welded the exhaust together broke, so it is sagging a bit. I am not using the last hanger.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_477.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_477.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 49

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
That's alot cleaner looking underneath than mine lol. Looks good, have you drove it much? What do you think?

It was tricky working it around the spare tire and the bottom of the bed, its an 18' long tip. It doesn't scream as much as i thought it would at WOT which is nice, but the drone at ~2k rpms is more apparent. It isn't much worse though.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
That's my LMM. Not a true dump but I hate seeing a 4" exhaust expand to a 6" tip from the curb view so that's why I did it. It drones at 1500 rpm and that's it. Mine is a 4" turbo back, straight piped and then a 6.5" aussie stack off a Steiger. The drone is no comparison to an inline and is barely noticeable, but your WOT though....... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I may not have had alot of drone do to the 4 inch. I have never had a 5 inch exhaust. I honestly like the sound of 4 better.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Semi-end result. I think the spots where I tack welded the exhaust together broke, so it is sagging a bit. I am not using the last hanger.

I really like that, enough to want to do mine again for the 4th time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
So..... I just dumped mine, had to cut the tailpipe off, it's too ****ing loud, and it looks like I couldn't afford the rest of the exhaust, could be because I've ****ed up my truck TWICE this week thanks to frac trucks and weather.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
So..... I just dumped mine, had to cut the tailpipe off, it's too ****ing loud, and it looks like I couldn't afford the rest of the exhaust, could be because I've ****ed up my truck TWICE this week thanks to frac trucks and weather.

You don't seem like you're having a good week at all man lol I suggest beer and a lawn chair.

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado

Hahaha god I hope it was a Halliburton truck! Those guys **** up more shit by running into it then we do moving rigs