Allison 6sp: Average Life Expectancy of a SCIV?

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
Mine has Finally said its done. It has been in 5 years and and about 50k miles and a few hooks and a few passes with it. Lots of daily driving and farm use as well. It finally said it's done yesterday. Just curious as to how long they typically last.

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
Idk but these clutches came out of a buddies 6speed after about 2 seasons of pulling in the East Coast 3.0 class.

Attachments

• CAM00330.jpg
    CAM00330.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 69

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I built mine (old school original suncoast IV) myself in december 2005, and almost 200,000 miles later its still running perfectly and shifts like the day I built it. Its never been out of the truck since December 2005.

Its got a couple hundred 1/4 mile passes on it at street weight (7,500lbs) in the 12's at 107-109mph. Also general daily driving/street abuse and towing. Its seen lots of different turbo setups, several twin setups, big singles, stock VVT, etc. Its even seen a built motor for 15k miles before the built motor blew up.

It is on its third converter though. Currently I have a Precision ML in there

Ben

Last edited:

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
It's hard to address things like this when they come up, obviously we never want our products to "fail" However, there is a lot of room for error with these kits being DIY. The hard part is that upon failure, everyone wants to point the finger towards the manufacturer. Get it torn down, address the failure and give me a call. We most definitely have made serious improvements to our frictions and are light years from how the kits use to be.

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I know its not a 6 speed, but my trans is still working fine after 6 years, ~80,000+ miles, many low-12sec passes, one rebuilt engine. Merchant equiv of SC3 (maybe 4?) with alto clutches and ML converter.

Last edited:

brandon06dmax

the reckoning
Apr 29, 2013
jactionville nc
ben- I actually would have sent them back. However, you didn't pick your phone up, return emails, or messages. but I guess that's standard operating procedure for you with customers of BT :) have a good day.
wow tell him how you really feel also when will suncoast design a lock box

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Mine lasted 40k. Had the stock Transgo parts in it. C3s were toast. Got a p0776 right after the new motor and turbo. Now it has a PPE 5 with Mike L mods this time around.

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
It was a clutch I do believe. Fluid smells burnt but is not black. Babysitter was hauling my kids to the ex and called and said it got hot and was flashing lights. So she shut it down and I went and traded her trucks and it was at 280 when I started it up and fluid level was fine. I got into it a little after I made a turn and it flared between 2-3 shift and I stopped and then left and got about half throttle and it flared bad and went into limp mode in third gear. Shut it off and it drove ok as Long as I didn't give it too much throttle. Then I ate lunch and left and maybe got 1/8-1/4 throttle when I left and it shifted truck stopped and then shifted and chirped tires and hit hard. I was almost home with it and it just finally said I'm done. I can hardly drive it in the barn lot. So I'm thinking a clutch came apart.