Are Stock (OEM) Duramax exhaust manifolds Cast Steel or Cast Iron

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I'm getting read to weld the V-bands on today and did a quick search and couldn't find the answer. Does anyone know if these are Cast steel or iron. The Manifolds I am using are the Kodiak Manifolds as well, if it makes a difference. but I would think not. I know the LS OEM Manifolds are a cast steel and weld nice, but wasn't sure on these just buy looking at them.

If anyone knows for sure, that would be awesome. Thanks :thumb:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Almost nothing is cast "iron" anymore. All of it has some percentage of carbon in it making it "steel".

As to the amount of carbon added that would be anyone's guess. What about spark testing it?

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
YEah I spark tested it and it seemed to test like a mix of steel and iron, Cut Clean with my band saw and we tacked the Vbands on last night with SS Filler....Seemed pretty easy to tack up without preheat. We've never run a bead on something like this so when its time we will probably heat the pieces with a torch for the preheat and see how it welds up, But I think itll be fine. I was thinking it was steel....Thanks for the replies guys, I was just curious if anyone knew for sure. :thumb:

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Grey cast iron I believe is the official name of it same as the Vgt turbine housing. Definitely preheat and let it stay hot and slowly cool down. We use an oven to weld them without issues.

testdrive

May 28, 2013
Grey cast iron I believe is the official name of it same as the Vgt turbine housing. Definitely preheat and let it stay hot and slowly cool down. We use an oven to weld them without issues.
Mark is correct. In fact it is mostly likely what is classified as a 20,000 lb grey iron, in other just plain old cast iron. The same as man hold covers. If it were cast steel or ductal class they would be much higher in cost. In general cast steel often requires heating treating after casting.

PaIronHead

Hammer down
Dec 17, 2015
Erie county PA
Cast iron is minimum of 500 degrees and cast steel is minimum of 250 degrees and don't let it get over 350 degrees after a pass for cast steel. That's running 7018. You can weld it without Pre heat and they call for 100 degrees to take moisture out of iron and weld 1 inch at a time and peen the weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk